jimmyboy1
10/03/2020

9 day cold turkey

Posted in Reasons to quit 10 Mar 2020

9 days now cold turkey after 30 years smoking and going strong - you can do this too! - have support - talk it through and face the challenge head on and good luck

• Robn March 10, 2020 | 20:08
    Well done Jimmyboy1, you are doing great. Isn’t it nice to be free.....so empowering not to be a slave to that horrible habit anymore. Stay strong and focused
  • Robn March 10, 2020 | 20:08
  • jimmyboy1 March 11, 2020 | 1:05
    It is a good feeling, but very hard day today! But will keep going, thanks for the support
  • Red-67 March 11, 2020 | 4:33
    Welcome Jimmy; :)
    You have made, possibly, the best choice you could make. Sure, there will be discomfort, maybe in waves, but tapering off in just a few weeks. What helped me most, was realizing that I was a slave to a little tube of tobacco. We let them run out life. I made a smoke something I did not WANT, not something I missed, or could not have. So, then, it is just a little bad feeling, not a craving. Accept the fact, that we were addicted to smoking, and just know, you never WANT another one. You can do this. :)
  • jimmyboy1 March 11, 2020 | 4:44
    Thank you, how long before the body stops aching, I am determined to do this but as stated tough day today
  • Happiness March 11, 2020 | 7:57
    You are doing great. They say it gets easier. I didn't crave smoking only the opportunity of being free . Stick with it and be so happy that you did!
  • Red-67 March 11, 2020 | 8:06
    We vary quite a bit, depending on metabolism, and how the mind works. At this point, your body has probably depleted all traces of nicotine, so your brain is crying out, and messing with you in many ways. Try to understand, that much of what you are feeling is just in your head. Not that it is not real, but it does mean that you can take some control of it. I think, in most cases, the first 2 weeks are the worst, with cold turkey. Don't give in. Chew gun. Munch on celery, it will not add any calories. Let go of anything good, you think about smoking. This battle is really waged in your mind. You can do it :)
  • jimmyboy1 March 11, 2020 | 8:10
    Made it through the day!! It’s great to receive messages of support, I Look forward to sharing my experiences with fellow quitters, one day at a time!!
  • Red-67 March 11, 2020 | 8:30
    Great :)
    Be proud. Many fail in the first week. Cold turkey is the hardest, but also the fastest, and most successful. Fewer people return to smoking, than any other method. Accept, and understand your emotions, and the physical discomfort. Treat it like you would a case of the flu, or a bad cold. Let it pass. You will soon see the joy, of becoming a non smoker. I also quit cold turkey, after 45 years a stupid slave to them. I thought I smoked because I liked it, and wanted to, but that's how it works. SMOKING MAKES YOU STUPID :) By the 4th week, I knew I was free. For me, week 2 and 3 were the worst, but then the weight lifted. It can for you too..
  • jimmyboy1 March 11, 2020 | 18:34
    Thankyiu
  • Lia March 11, 2020 | 22:50
    Hi Jimmyboy1
    No comment from me other than take note of the amazing posts here on your story. Do report back as your story unfolds. Wish you well...
  • jimmyboy1 March 12, 2020 | 3:00
    Will do Lia - still going - feeling much stronger today - aches and pains have subsided - another small victory!!
  • jimmyboy1 March 12, 2020 | 3:00
  • Happiness March 12, 2020 | 6:09
    Unwanted thoughts cant hurt you. Make up your mind and find the strength to resist temptation which was of the past and had merit before you knew better. Smoking never gave you anything real to miss! Keep with it Jimmyboy1!
  • Nuts March 12, 2020 | 12:33
    Hey Jimmy. You need to celebrate. You dont smoke anymore. Well done you. Be really proud of yourself. The hardest part is over and you won. Yay 🤗💕
  • jimmyboy1 March 13, 2020 | 17:33
    Thank you, still going strong, a few challenges through days 10 -12 but back on track mentally, still no cigarettes!!
  • PuffNoMore, Southern NSW March 13, 2020 | 20:48
    Practice Nope 100%
    Its the only way
  • jimmyboy1 November 25, 2020 | 23:07
    Well I said I would check in again at some point and here I am now 9 months free , feeling very proud, if I can do this, anyone can!!