Happiness
20/11/2018

How to Fill The "Void"

Posted in Hints and tips 06 Jan 2020

Many people can come to Change Their Minds and Make the Changes needed to embrace this journey, but some and probably most are older and retired like I am with many hours to fill . While we know that taking up a good habit to replace a bad one is beneficial, we cannot do that 24/7. We did not smoke that much either, but in those first days I am sure it is on the mind of some and may feel like that.

What ideas can you suggest or did you do to fill your time in the early days of quitting ?

I left chores to do, let them pile up, but ultimately found contentment in taking part in a forum and researching nicotine and healthy foods. Of course I always spend too much time player free poker on Pokerstars. After i retired , I joined a senior club to play cards and Mahjong. I love to play scrabble and thought about going to a senior building and finding a shut in that might enjoy the company and a game or two.

We come from all walks of life and environment here. Give some direction to someone who may be feeling lost today.

• Red-67 January 06, 2020 | 9:19
    For me, there never was a void to fill. I did not change anything, except to leave off the smoke. I was, and am, semi retired, so I still have to work some. For the fist weeks, I still went out to have my coffee, or an after drink, same as always. That's why even my wife did not know I had quit for 3 weeks :) I did not intend to change my routine, or dodge triggers, I just wanted to quit smoking :) I figure, that is enough to do at one time :) I was a happy smoker, until that light bulb moment, and only wanted to quit, that once. Learning to do, or start anything, without a smoke, took longer than the quit did.. :)
  • Pisces24, Central Coast January 06, 2020 | 14:44
    There is alwaysca change in our routines. Our brain reminds us of when we last went here or did this we had a cigarette... that is the only void I have felt.
    I just remind myself you are a non smoker now and how good it is now??
    The smokers huddled outside alone gets me.
    I am doing different good things so that Im happy with myself now
  • FreshAirOK, Hunter New England January 13, 2020 | 8:08
    So sorry to hear that you are in hospital. I hope it's a short stay and you are back to good health really soon. Take care.
  • Happiness January 13, 2020 | 8:15
    TY
  • Happiness January 13, 2020 | 11:35
    it was so scary feeling so helpless but thankfully strength is returning
  • Safe2017 January 13, 2020 | 13:10
    Happiness, Wishing you a quick recovery. Get well soon.
  • PuffNoMore, Southern NSW January 13, 2020 | 14:40
    Holy Moly. A mini stroke?
    I'm praying for your full recovery.
    We love you Shaz.
  • Nuts January 13, 2020 | 19:15
    Get well soon mate. We love you 💕
  • Nuts January 13, 2020 | 19:18
    Thank goodness that you quit smoking when you did. It could have been worse. Thinking of you 💖😙
  • Pisces24, Central Coast January 13, 2020 | 21:15
    Dear Happiness,
    I was shocked and saddened to read that you are in hospital....Are you ok????
    I thought things were quiet last few days.
    I hope you get better very soon and I'm so glad you do not smoke anymore...
    I'm thinking of you and hoping you are home soon. Take care my friend😘🙋‍♀️
  • PuffNoMore, Southern NSW January 13, 2020 | 23:39
    Hi happ.
    I feel so much for you...... I have been waiting anxiously and nervously outside the operating room for news for hours, it seems, and i am still waiting for you to come out to the recovery ward.
    I hope that it is not that dramatic in your case and you are just having a rest and you are perfectly OK. OK.

I just want you ok Sis.
    My heart is with you
  • Happiness January 14, 2020 | 5:57
    left side comes and goes. ty all for concern .
  • Nuts January 14, 2020 | 19:26
    Hi sweetheart. Hope that you are getting better. We miss your great advise and kindness. This site would not be the same without you. Wishing you a speedy recovery. Ps. Hope that Jamie is coping ok. Love to him as well 💕 from Lea
  • SueSpringtime January 15, 2020 | 5:00
    Hello All.
    New quitter here. Just started day 2 and I think my breathing is getting a little easier.
    I'm going to read everything on the site and suck my sugar-free sweets tonight.
    So happy to be here. Love from the UK.
  • Broncor, Mid North Coast January 18, 2020 | 16:50
    Hi happiness, I haven’t been on site for a while, so I didn’t know you were unwell, I though something was up because missing your wise comments on new stories. Wishing you a speedy and full recovery, this site needs you. Take care of you
  • Happiness January 19, 2020 | 0:04
    left side is kaputs but i got my slippers on last night. Hoping to be home and self sufficient in a month. i can stand and move left arm .it is slow walking with a walker and typing but i am staying POSTIVE. The mind is a powerful thing.
  • Nuts January 19, 2020 | 10:21
    You are one of the most positive people on earth. I know that you can do this. You talk of the right mindset for quitting smoking quite a bit. I think that applies to all challenges in life. I truly believe that you have the right mindset and that you will overcome this challenge in your life. We are all thinking of you and wishing you a speedy recovery 💕
  • Happiness January 20, 2020 | 11:37
    thank you. you are right. i thought life was over but if people make complete recoveries, i will too'if i havent given up no one should quit the fight against smoking. freedom is everything.