Samp
South Western Sydney
12/05/2019

How long is the battle

Posted in Quit experiences 14 Jul 2019

I went cold Turkey after 30 years of smoking religiously, i decided to quit due to the reasons we all decide to stop. I have tried a few times too quit using other methods but failed so i threw myself in the deep end and went cold Turkey. To my surprise ive reached 70 days today with disbelief. The struggle has been a rollercoaster from day 1, i seem to be able to go through my regular routine as normal even have drinks on my weekend. Without any real craving issues, but in saying that the cigarette monster does arise every now and then but lately it's been a real battle, just wondering if i should be past the point of temptation or is this a lifetime battle. I can be around smokers have a few drinks ect without the temptation to smoke ,but my desire comes on will. Has anyone else felt the same way and am i almost there.

• Red-67 July 14, 2019 | 21:54
    Hi, Samp, and welcome :)
    The battle will last only as long as you let it.
    Understand, at this point, you are well past the physical / nicotine / addiction.
    Somewhere, in your mind, you apparently, have not let go of the want, or the thought, that you are missing something..
    You have beaten the nicotine addiction. All you have to do now, is totally embrace the idea of being a non smoker, instead of a smoker that just does not smoke. Let yourself really see how we let them run our life. Really understand that we were just a slave to a cigarette, and the battle can truly be over. You don't have to ever want, miss, or crave another one.
  • Happiness July 15, 2019 | 0:05
    So true what Red wrote. Read and learn Samp. You will find that you are doing great so don't be discouraged. Read and learn how nicotine works, what it did, and understand how to combat the effects of it in your mind. You will find lots of tips and information within stories and comments given.

Keep up the great effort and positive way of thinking. Mindset is everything. Read, learn, be happy and free! You are almost there!
  • Peterstevenson July 16, 2019 | 9:03
    Hang in there, Just believe you can be the hero of your own story!
  • Samp, South Western Sydney July 16, 2019 | 19:14
    Thanks for all the insight, I've come to far too turn back. I just need to find a way to sort it out. I keep reminding myself that I had a pack a day habit for 30y and 70days quitting is remarkable but I'm going to train my brain to move on. Tnx again and I'll keep you posted.
  • Lia July 16, 2019 | 20:36
    Hi Samp. Welcome to the club. Have you ever heard a non smoker say they would really love a cigarette? Course not. They don't know what they are missing. Us, on the other hand... Once a smoker, always a smoker. We remember all the pathetic reasons we would reach for a cigarette. Good times, bad times any time...Nearly 50 months quit cold turkey for me. Not game to have a few puffs for any reason. I know where that would lead to and so do all of us on this site. Hang in there. You are in good company on this site.
  • Safe2017 July 17, 2019 | 11:42
    Good going Samp, as the time passes the nicodemon will raise its head less and less frequently. Just accept it as part of getting clean and don’t succumb if a moment of weakness should arrive. Good luck and stay vigilant.
  • Nuts July 18, 2019 | 17:29
    Wow 70 days. It soon adds up. Well done mate. Its not a craving, it just a thought ,a memory of having a smoke at a certain time of day or situation. Let it go and it will become easier
  • Shamrock July 19, 2019 | 19:34
    hey i was a 30 year smoker too. 1 January I patched for about 20 days and then went cold turkey. I am now at 6 months, nearly 200 days. But i remember nearly every day. go check my story and my moaning about will it every end ! i can relate toyour day 70. Yep that happens. Youhit some rough patches just when you think you are doing ok. Then you stop and reflect and notice how exhausting it is. At times I felt I was losing my mind and thought it would never end. I recall about day 90 I felt the corner turned. Its different for everyone. But keep going. I still remain vigilant and even though it is easier now for me I know what a trap it all is and what a devil it is to quit. Never doing that again ! hang in there
  • Shamrock July 19, 2019 | 19:35
  • Samp, South Western Sydney July 22, 2019 | 20:44
    It's day 78 and have had a great 8 days.i know i still have alot of work ahead of me. Don't know why but the one quote that seems to be stuck on me is that I'm a smoker who doesn't smoke which i never realised. So thank you for that advice. I'm focusing on enjoying each new day as a non smoker know each day i complete is a stronger day up my sleeve. I now have to deal with the repercussions of being a smoker for so long as smoking has masked alot of its harmful effects on my body that have surfaced now that ive not smoking