Dera
Story
5/12/2018

How I have been feeling

Posted in Quit experiences 05 Dec 2018

I quit smoking cigarettes July 11. It has been a little bit of a struggle. I have taken Chantix as medication and it has worked for me. I was wondering if any of you happen to have any issues after quitting? I find myself tired so early in the evening. I also have body aches and constipation? I have also gained 15 pounds. It’s been almost 5 months and still feeling this way :(

• Happiness December 05, 2018 | 13:42
    I Dera. I'm afraid i don't have answers to the first part of the question. I quit cold turkey for a month now, and although i haven't gained weight and in fact eating more fiber i also have bouts of constipation . Exercise i think is the answer to all your problems . I quit smoking and quit work, so i have been on this site too much and doing extras around the house, rather than exercising. I once had a very sedentary job for a few months, and it does take its toll on your body. So true, use it or lose it. I got back my leg strength, then, and now i am heading down the same road. Damn, i managed to quit smoking, if I could do that, i am sure i can exercise. They say your body looks forward to it once you start a regiment. I am going to try that. Maybe you would do well to do the same.

A heavy meal always makes me want to sleep, so take a walk or do something until that phase passes.

Also, get rest, drink plenty of water, maybe eat better choices, and look forward to the new improved you!
  • PuffNoMore, Southern NSW December 05, 2018 | 14:10
    Yes, Im Craig 51.
    I started this journey 72 days ago but because I had a 3 day smoke-a-thon due to my inability to deal with some disappointment, today I'm 39 days smoke free and still bloody counting. Although, I'm considering not counting because I consider this my last quit attempt!
    There are still issues like weight gain, diarrhea. constipation, sleep disturbances, body aches and this Huge issue of Time!
    I feel guilty because i'm not making productive use of my time!
    Anybody out there finding time on their hands a big issue?
  • PuffNoMore, Southern NSW December 05, 2018 | 14:24
    The disappointment and guilt I suffered with smoking far out weighs the issue of extra time i have gained. I'll take the advice of you and stop moaning lol
  • Robn December 05, 2018 | 20:12
    Hi Dera and Puffnomore,
    Most of these issues everyone has had to deal with at some point in their journey. I really do believe that some of it is that because we are not smoking we are a little more in 5une with our bodies. Every little pain or ache we focus on...we must have had them before but didn’t dwell on it. I have gained about 4 or 5 kilos....I don’t care...not smoking is much more important to me than a little weight gain. I make sure that I go for a long walk everyday, I took up hobbies when I quit to keep me busy. I am retired so I do have a lot of time on my hands, but I make sure I fill as much of my time as I possibly can. All of the issues will subside as we get used to being non smokers....and lets face it....that is what we are all aiming for.
  • Leeann , Central Coast December 05, 2018 | 20:46
    Hi Dera yep we all battled some sort of issues from the withdrawels I got quite a few mouth ulcers for about 4 months and put on a few kilos, yes battled mood swings, insomnia plus I'm dealing with menopause symptoms. Hey I'm 5 and a 1/2 months in now and feeling pretty damned good, these things are nothing in comparison to continuing filling our bodies with the poisonous cancer sticks. So maybe pop into a health food store or pharmacist and get whatever non poisonous aids you may need to assist with the constipation and lack of energy. Stay strong😊
  • Safe2017 December 06, 2018 | 6:29
    A friend of mine had an awful body itch when she quit. I too went through constipation. Also, the time you gain feels a bit strange. It's like where did it come from? Quitting is very unpleasant, even painful I'd say. The good part is that these awfulness goes away and you feel free from addiction. Good luck and stay strong.
  • Haydee December 06, 2018 | 6:45
    Hi Dera -The early days after quitting are the hardest. Everybody is different in how they will feel I've noticed. Constipation is a side effect of quitting. Foods that contain fibre will help I found. Right after I quite and a couple weeks after I was so hungry. My appetite just increased ten fold. It did subside, now my appetite is back to normal after 4 weeks. I've been quit for 4.5 months now thereabouts. All the best, your body will thank you for it :)
  • PuffNoMore, Southern NSW December 06, 2018 | 15:53
    Hi
    I'm using between 2 & 5 inhalers per day and this costs only $33 a week now.
    When i quit 39 days ago a packet of 30 cigs cost $33
    i've saved over a thousand $ dollars $
    Who would not be happy with this financial result? grr, I'm never going to puff again even if i'm crinkling over with despair, depression and doubt.
    LOL
    please hand feed me hope community