adelle
Nepean Blue Mountains
6/02/2012

Day 2 Smoke Free :-)

Posted in Hints and tips 10 Feb 2012

Hi Guys,

So it has reached Day 2 for me being smoke free! I am very proud of myself and have been thinking today that I must congratulate myself with something a little bit nice.

I have most definately had cravings but have been able to get through them. I haven't yet had a really strong one yet. The main thing that has helped me get through it, is looking at all of my smoking related health problems and how I want to change it. I actually wrote them down and re - read it and it was actually a shock to me because I didn't realise until then how much smoking had effected me.

Another thing that has helped me to beat the cravings is just drinking plenty of water, having a mint or a piece of chewing gum, fruit, lollies etc. Basically somethings to keep both my hands and mouth still busy during a craving. Eventually I will stop this and eat sensibly but at the moment I really don't mind what I turn to if it's going to help me stay quit.

The whole WILLPOWER thing is real. It's amazing how much easier and confident you feel when it comes into play. Believing in yourself, believing that you CAN is such a wonderful feeling! This time roud it has felt different for me because I do have the strength and WILLPOWER to help me stay determined :-)

The weirdest thing for me is not going out side with a coffee and smoke. I actually have quit coffee at the same time as the two go together for me. Instead I can stay inside with my daughter and do more with her.

I have felt tired at one point yesterday and one point today. I probably had a 1 hour nap each day. This is unusual for me - I never sleep anytime of the day besides normal night hours. I figure it must be a sign of withdrawal? It doesn't bother me - distracts my mind again from wanting a smoke.

For those of you who don't know, I have just gone cold turkey. I haven't had any nicotine replacements as yet but if I feel I need some more help I will buy the nicobate gum.

Thanks guys, hope you are all going well! Happy Friday :-)

• MickeyJ, Southern NSW February 10, 2012 | 15:43
    Really good Adelle! You're doing great. I find that if I get bad cravings, going to bed is the safest thing to do. I haven't had the tired symptoms you're getting, but I wake up earlier in the morning. You've got the whole replacement thing sorted. I used twiggy sticks (little salimi sticks from the deli) and smokey bbq mixed nuts.
  • debspooner, Southern NSW February 10, 2012 | 17:50
    What an inspiration adelle. I am day 9 cold turkey. It is so hard but worth it. Maybe you are also having withdrawal symptoms from coffee as i did to. I gave the coffee up first as i knew the coffee and smoke were best of mates. That might be the reason for sleeping during the day. I hope you all the success and will power.
  • Freakboy February 10, 2012 | 21:21
    Keep at it your doing great. You are stronger than you think.
  • Freakboy February 10, 2012 | 21:21
    Keep at it your doing great. You are stronger than you think.
  • MickeyJ, Southern NSW February 10, 2012 | 21:36
    Ladies and Gentlemen ... we have another WINNER!!
  • lindaG, Western Sydney February 11, 2012 | 1:10
    Go adelle - nail it!
  • JodieRW, Hunter New England February 11, 2012 | 14:01
    GO ADELLE!!! As to turning to food (which was my greatest fear) I got those little Nicabate tic tac looking things & they work a bloody treat!! Im on day 5!!
    Ive had a constant headache since I gave up, maybe thats just the stress from the constant "I can do it" prep talks I give myself!!! lol
    Day 3 SUCKED for me!!! Wouldve taken me 10 seconds to duck down to the servo but I just chewed that gum like it was my last meal, looked at my 4 year old colouring in & said "Nup, Im on this!!"
    SO SO SO SO SO SO happy for you but NEVER feel weak for getting that little bit of help (ie: gum, lozenges etc etc)
    YOU GO GIRL!!! YOUVE GOT THIS IN THR BAG!!!
  • JodieRW, Hunter New England February 11, 2012 | 14:01
    YOU GO GIRL!!! YOUVE GOT THIS IN THR BAG!!!
  • JodieRW, Hunter New England February 11, 2012 | 14:02
    Sorry, posted TWICE!!! Just my happiness for you Adelle!!hahaha
  • adelle, Nepean Blue Mountains February 11, 2012 | 19:53
    Thanks so much again to all of you for listening and showing support! :-) I was having a great day until this evening.... I posted about it. I'm getting through it slowly.....