Flora
28/01/2016

I cant believe I did this!

Posted in Quit experiences 16 Jun 2016

So I am at day 34 smoke free...have stopped Champix completely now and feel great. However....a freaky thing happened just tonight....I was doing something in the kitchen and when i finished I grabbed a cig from hubby's packet which was on kitchen bench, and went to sit at my laptop, put it in my mouth and looked around for a lighter......suddenly like bolt of lightning it dawned on me what i just did without even realizing it, and i said "WHAT THE F$%K AM I DOING" and promptly put cig back in packet, like it was diseased or about to explode lol. I cant believe it just happened like that out of the blue, just shows how ingrained that damn habit is. Im still shaking my head at that whole 'moment'.

• Steve01 June 16, 2016 | 22:35
    Hi Flora...oh yeah..I've done that too during my last quit at around 60 days or thereabouts. Scares' the hell out of you hey. That's why like me, it's hard quitting when you live with
  • Steve01 June 16, 2016 | 22:37
    Hi Flora...oh yeah..I've done that too during my last quit at around 60 days or thereabouts. Scares' the hell out of you hey. That's why like me, it's double hard quitting when you live with a smoker. Good you're subconscious guard stepped forward.
  • Flora June 16, 2016 | 22:50
    Too right Steve, it was as scary as a smoking dream/nightmare.
  • WhiteWillow June 16, 2016 | 23:50
    That made me laugh, good job you caught it in time. Positive won over negative, well done. Just shows we all need to be on our guard at all times. 34 days, Flora, you're amazing.
  • IC June 17, 2016 | 1:03
    you didn't smoke it :) something we did for so long takes time to unlearn and maybe its always going to be there is some form but I think with time it fades, like an ex lovers voice till one day we can even remember what it sounded like.

was a good metaphor I thought :)

and I will leave it at that LOL

IC
  • storm, Murrumbidgee June 17, 2016 | 19:07
    Congratulations flora, 34 days smoke free well done, you.
    Also big hi 5, for pulling yourself up before you lit that cigarette, habits are such a hard things to break, which is why we will always need to be cautious, one day at a time
  • Lia June 17, 2016 | 21:00
    Just a reminder, once a smoker, always a smoker. Just remember what a difficult journey it has been so why would you do anything to deliberately fail. Just keep in touch with the icanquit community. I am up to day 385... Cold turkey... It can be done. Mind you I never let the guard down...
  • Flora June 18, 2016 | 0:10
    Thanks everyone. It was just a slip of the mind and certainly not intentional. It was the first time I had put a cig to my mouth in 35 days and in doing so, it didnt trigger any urge to light up and smoke it...just sent me into shock!
    Well done Lia..that's awesome.
  • Siobhain-Marie June 18, 2016 | 2:25