KB78
14/01/2014

Day Three... Is that ALLLLL

Posted in Getting started 14 Jan 2014

I really just had a question.

I am at day 3 of quitting. The last two days have been a bit of an emotional rollercoaster, irritable, angry and even weepy (unusual for me)

Anyway its a heatwave at the moment its 41... I would really love to have a beer this evening but at day 3 still feel like this might be a bad decision.

Does anyone (esp regular drinkers) have any thoughts on when is the best time to drink during the quit journey OR any tips on how to overcome the urges. Most people I have spoken to said if they have relapsed its because of drinking alcohol. I dont want to give that up too! The people I would be drinking with are non smokers and it would be at home, do we think that makes a difference?

Any advice greatly appreciated :)

• brutig, Mid North Coast January 14, 2014 | 13:43
    At some stage or another your going to have a drink. Just don't have any smokes with and tell your fellow drinkers you don't want to smoke. You have to bite the bullet sooner or later and have a drink and use willpower not to smoke. Cheers.
  • Steve01 January 14, 2014 | 15:36
    Give it 2 weeks so you have a better chance to get over the worst of the smoking withdrawls. Then it'll be a bit easier later to not associate drinking with smoking when the time comes. I know from experience that drinking (especially in the first week) really weakens the willpower and you start negotiating in your mind that it'll be ok to have one.
  • KB78 January 16, 2014 | 9:13
    Thanks for that... I went the abstain route... was pretty miserable... however day 4 went much better than day 3!
  • Ifinknot, Mid North Coast January 19, 2014 | 10:10
    I'm on day 15 and for the last two weeks I have stayed away from my normal Friday after work drinks, went for one and only had a light beer then left just too tempting. Declined a party invitation were there would've been smokers it's just not worth it until I feel strong. I'm not going to put myself in a situation I can't currently trust myself in. Quitting is too important :)
  • Ifinknot, Mid North Coast January 19, 2014 | 10:10
  • doigiva January 21, 2014 | 1:09
    I am at day 23 & had a few drinks on NYE along with some nibbles to munch on instead of a pack of ciggies,,,not a problem. My choice of nibbles was strong cheddar cheese cubes, cocktail pickled onions(you remember the red & green variety)salami etc, whatever takes your fancy really. I will not drink alcohol again until Australia Day & again make sure I have something to nibble on. Prior to quitting I used to have a few cold ones at the end of the day nearly every day but using this Quit time to reduce my alcohol intake as well. Lots of iced water & being able to smell & taste food again is great. If at all possible avoid smokers like you have been