NeverNeverEVER
15/06/2013

NeverNeverEver Because I'm A Non Smoker

Posted in Getting started 16 Jun 2013

I have tried to quit so many times that i would need everyone's hands and feet to count the attempts.  The biggest setback to any quit has always been my own mind.  I have been a non smoker for 4 days but what is the differance in me this time? I will NEVER NEVER EVER BECAUSE I'M A NON SMOKER :) There is nothing to quit because I'm a non smoker. Why would I smoke - I'm a non smoker.

I have no mental anquish.  I have no satisfaction and no pride.  I am a non smoker and therefor there is no reason to be proud.  I just don't smoke. Every now and again, i am getting a hot flush for nicotine and i am satisfying this with one squirt of the new nicorette spray.  Likely every hour i do this.

But never never ever because i'm a non smoker.  Thats my mantra and it's working.

• Bill44, Central Coast June 16, 2013 | 16:29
    You will prevail because you have the right attitude. After several attempts during my 53 years of smoking I finally succeeded with a similar attitude to what you have.
  • NeverNeverEVER June 16, 2013 | 17:49
    I have heard that most of it is attitude Bill but now I have to agree that it is.
    I got to thinking about my young nephew who died, he had a heroin addiction and every time he tried to quit, his brain drove him as mad as a cut snake. I thought about me - why do i not go nuts and think about heroin all the time and the answer was simple - i have never used heroin and therefor i do not have the addiction. I don't think about having to use it.
    Nicotine is just a drug - an addiction. Once i got my head around that - i was able to change my attitude and throw the smoke and become a non smoker.

Not sure if any of that would make sense to anyone but me.
  • kanga508 June 16, 2013 | 17:59
    Hi neverneverever its great that you have found something that works for you we all have our different ways to cope so keep it up kanga
  • NeverNeverEVER June 16, 2013 | 18:09
    yes Kanga - all have different ways - if it works then stay with it.

I have had nothing work in 38 years till i turned my thinking around. I have no mental withdrawl at all.
  • NeverNeverEVER June 16, 2013 | 18:18
    yes Kanga - all have different ways - if it works then stay with it.

• PallMall, South Western Sydney June 16, 2013 | 19:18
    I also believe mind over matter is what motivates me. I still suck on water ice pops (no frills in plastic tubes) #3.00 for 2 doz last about a week - lot cheaper than nicotine sprays.
  • humble June 16, 2013 | 19:26
    Well done I'm going to use your catch phrase it's very positive. I've also tried to give up I think nearly every month for the past year. No one believes I will do it this time n I can't blame them but I'm determined to prove them wrong so good luck non smoker from a non smoker.
  • ammy June 16, 2013 | 21:25
    yes well done everyone I,m day 6 but keep getting little messages to have a smoke BUT NO I,m determined just hope those little triggers - after a meal, when I knock off etc etc go away feel better already & nice not smelling like an ashtray. Have noticed I can smell a smoker and realise that was me a week ago Ammy
  • NeverNeverEVER June 17, 2013 | 8:34
    Hey PallMall - excellent - and i agree that most of it is mind over matter - though in all honesty you would never have convinced me off that, until I had the experience myself. I no longer use the spray, i am now using nothing. The physical withdrawl is very much inline with menpause - hot flush - feeling dizzy - unable to think and process information for a moment - they seem to last about 30 to 60 seconds. The mental withdrawl for me is nothing.

Humble - you are most welcome to use my catch phrase - husband just tried to get me to drag on his e-cig (he too is trying to quit) i said - i do not puff - never never ever because i'm a non smoker - he rolled his eyes at me and got skanky and said whatever - i said try it love - it surely helps.

Ammy - i offer humble apologies to my children and my mum - all non smokers - for how much i actually must have stank to them lol
  • NeverNeverEVER June 17, 2013 | 9:50