PuffNoMore
Southern NSW
30/11/2018

Let's stamp smoking out for good!

Posted in Reasons to quit 22 Mar 2021

Hi team.

Its a wonderful world!

Can any one come up with one GOOD reason to continue smoking?

come on, any excuse will suffice.

Get it off your chest. BE honest.

We want to know why people smoke.

We hear how marvelous it is to be free.

But what keeps you smoking?

Any ideas would be welcome on a forum from smokers (Ex-smokers too) around this world.

• PuffNoMore, Southern NSW March 23, 2021 | 3:36
  • softly40, Mid North Coast March 23, 2021 | 7:03
    Great post, and thought provoking statements on both counts of your post PuffNoMore. I am glad to be part of this thought provoking community. Insights grow daily.
  • Robn March 23, 2021 | 19:22
    Hi PuffNoMore, great post...I think Fear keeps people smoking. Fear of a change to the old familiar lifestyle, Fear of how they will handle a different lifestyle. Fear that it will be hard.. and for a lot of people Fear that they will actually succeed, which means their life will change. If we can take that Fear out of it...I believe more people will break free.
    I was a smoker for over forty years.....gave up many times, but I can’t even tell you why it worked for me this time.....definitely my mindset was different, stronger and more determined I think.
    Let’s tell everyone...there are only benefits...nothing to Fear at all. Best gift I have ever given myself and my family
  • Happiness March 23, 2021 | 23:47
    Robn is absolutely right. FEAR.

When we hear of people who have "cravings" 20 years later we shudder and right there close our minds to EVER living our life with THAT. We remember a craving all too well from years ago when we first tried to quit. Tfe world is a smaller place with technology and you are not alone and uneducated. We understand and you can learn more about the addiction and how we can break free, even easily.

Cravings are mere thoughts. Sure, some might have an urge to smoke 20 years later when they have been using willpower to abstain. They may only have a thought of them once a year. But we FEAR the worst! We need to let go of our past experience. Every quit is a new one, and when you look forward to something you anticipate it in excitement, you do not DREAD the thought.
    If we tell ourselves we CAN quit smoking happily, we will. When we remove all reasons to smoke, we make some up as an excuse. When we run out of excuses, we concede. With a smile and anticipation or with dread and FEAR?

Fear of change, Fear of failure, Fear of not feeling oneself. FEAR.

HOPE, ANTICIPATE, DESIRE, EMBRACE THE FREEDOM AND LIFE AS A NON-SMOKER. We were once one and we can be again. That is what is natural. That is how we were meant to be.

I have posed this question before PuffNoMore. I think those who read and learn from our stories are running out of excuses.
  • Red-67 March 24, 2021 | 6:12
    Well, in some, if not many cases, like myself, I smoked because I wanted to. I enjoyed smoking. I never gave a thought to not smoking. UNTIL my thought process changed, and really asked myself WHY.. Only then, I could see that I was addicted to it, that smoking makes you stupid, and decided to quit. I never wanted to, or even seriously thought about quitting before that.
    I have a hard time understanding,, wanting to quit, trying to quit, and stopping and restarting. There was no FEAR. Yes, you will be pretty miserable for a time. How long depends on your frame of mind, and how you decide to do it. Cold turkey being the fastest, generally around 21 days to free your body of the nicotine addiction. Drugs, and NRTs, may be easier, and take a little longer, but find what works for you, and just do it. It is your hand, and your mind. Take control. You either want to quit or you don't. The difference between us, and the rest of the animals, is that we can change the way we think, and take control of our own mind. :)
  • Maestro40 April 02, 2021 | 17:10
    As un-pc as it is, I just loved smoking. 2 1/2 years into quitting I still envy those who smoke sometimes, as they have not had something taken away. Haven't started again because of my son. Otherwise, I am sure I would be right back to a pack a day. Just being honest...
  • PuffNoMore, Southern NSW April 03, 2021 | 11:13
    Thanks for being honest Maestro40. Yeah, I'm a little envious of the "occasional smoker" too, sometimes.
    They are few and far between. I am not going to test myself with one single puff. I was an Ex-smoker for a 2 1/2 year period like you, over a decade ago! One puff one night, led me to half cig. By the end of the week I was back smoking full on.