HOPE123
Story
20/01/2021

61DAYS AND TRAUMATIZED- CAN ANYONE RELATE?

Posted in Quit experiences 20 Jan 2021

Hi All

47 and a smoker for 25 years it has now been 62 days since my last cigarette and i feel like i am going insane.

Panic attacks, body aches and chills, racing heart and palpitations, restless nights, horrible dreams anxiety.

I have been to the doctors for full bloods and after ending up in hospital at 30days with a panic attack i have had heart monitored and ecg. Both bloods and hospital results have come back fine.

The aches in upper back and neck and the anxiety are driving me insane. Doctors again yesterday - blood pressure and bloods again all good.

The positive out of all this negative is that i still do not have any cravings and are not tempted for a cigarette! - I just wish the horrible physical side effects would subside.

Doctor has advised to relax and concentrate on breathing. I don,t like taking tablets so have opted not to have anxiety medication

Has anyone else had to deal with these issues ?

• Happiness January 21, 2021 | 0:43
    Congratulations on quitting smoking. Every quit is different and I had no evident changes when I quit other than breathing much better and better sense of taste and smell. I am sorry to hear of others who deal with strange , concerning health issues. They may be psychological ,as once the nicotine is out of our system, the addiction should be over, but there is usually an adjustment period to accept our new lifestyle. That is why the "cravings" continue......an underlying desire to smoke. So we need to remind ourselves of why we quit and of all the good that has and is yet to come since quitting this vile addiction.
    Embrace this journey. Be proud and free! Think positive. You have had your issues checked out , so be happy all is good and let them go.

Exercise and a good diet , meditation and a sense of well being should allay the anxiety, tension and many health issues. Deep breaths are a good quick fix.
  • Harvey meadows January 21, 2021 | 4:37
    Have you had any abdominal pains at all?
  • HOPE123 January 21, 2021 | 6:58
    Hi Harvey, Not so much pains in stomach - rather discomfort, gurgling, a lot of gas. More pain in neck and upperback. Good luck with your journey... I hope things get better for you soon
  • softly40, Mid North Coast January 21, 2021 | 8:24
    Welcome Hope, I did have some issues and I would say possibly mild anxiety, at the beginning of my journey. This was my 3rd attempt, over a long period of time, and I did not have this forum to help me at those times. We experience some sort of comradeship being together on our personal journeys, I would suggest you keep in touch and read some of the other stories which may help you,

I also think you need to go deeper into your reasons to quit and work out any emotional situations which need some work on. Go to the video which helped me called "How to be a Happy Non smoker" by NASIA DAVOS .....TEDxUniversityofPiraeus, its on UTube. Something will resonate with you on how you need to change your thoughts on some particular aspect within yourself. As for Anxiety Medication Your Chemist can point you in the direction of Non Addictive medication (natural remedies) the best one out of them all is the practice of Meditation and relaxation daily, for at least 10-15 mins this eventually will help you in other aspects of your life, not just the Non Smoking part. Keep in touch and Congratulations on being 62 days Smoke Free NOPE (not one puff ever)
  • Harvey meadows January 21, 2021 | 8:53
    Where’s the discomfort in you stomach can I ask?
  • HOPE123 January 21, 2021 | 12:00
    Hi Harvey, Discomfort is at bottom of ribs, centered. (if that makes sense). Almost like indigestion. I got my latest blood tests results back from Doctor Visit on Monday and they are all clear again. She also listened to stomach and checked. Everything appeared normal. Said sounds like its all linked to withdrawal symptoms and anxiety and we have booked another appointment for follow up next week. Its becoming really frustrating. I have had discomfort, aches and pains during my quitting process but the last week has been the worst one yet. Its so easy to let my mind wander and thinking cancer/brain tumours, and all sorts of horrible things but i am trying to stay focused and postive and concentrate on my breathing when i feel myself start to get anxious about the whole situation
  • HOPE123 January 21, 2021 | 12:03
    Thanks Softly,
    Its definately reassuring to realise i am not alone on this journey and there are so many similar stories and experiences like my own. Gives me some sense of sanity through all of this.
    And thank you on the advice on natural remedies. I had already planned a trip to chemist this week to look at natural alternatives for muscle relaxants and anti stress.
    I am hoping i can weather this storm and when i update in 4 weeks my story will be a lot brighter and positive:)
  • Happiness January 23, 2021 | 5:40
    I once thought I had a fish bone stuck in my throat. I finally went to the doctor and he said it was just a scratch. Then it stopped hurting and was gone. We hang onto our fears and cause more anxiety that feeds upon its self. You have done all you can do. You see others going through it too which should be reassuring. Look forward, not back......