Jonquil
Story
7/01/2019

Tried to quit so many times and my health is reason I really need to do this now

Posted in Reasons to quit 10 Nov 2020

I am glad to be part of this community. I have tried to quit smoking many times. I did quit and didn't smoke for 14 years. I stayed quit because I got pneumonia and bronchitis. I started smoking again when I thought I had this licked and could just smoke a few and then be done. NOT! I tried again many times and did stay quit but only when I was in the hospital. Now I have lung problems again and for my health and because I want to be here for my family instead of being dead, I want to quit again, stay quit and know now that I need the help of others. Thank you for letting me be part of this community.

• Aaron101, South Eastern Sydney November 10, 2020 | 14:50
    Hi there!

Thank you for sharing and welcome aboard!
    You've done this before and Im sure you can get back to being smoke free again.

Most of us have similar stories!
    My previous best quit was 8 months so you are way ahead there.

I've been nicotine free for 32 days now...
    Share with us and we are here to support each other.

Cheers,
    Aaron
  • Robn November 10, 2020 | 15:12
    Hi Jonquil....great to hear from you. Okay so now you have reached a time in your life when it really isn’t an option to continue smoking....think back on how you felt during the 14 years that you did not smoke...bet you felt heaps better. There is your motivation to make this your final quit. We are no different to others with substance abuse issues..drinkers, drug addicts, gamblers etc....we can never ever have another smoke or drink etc. For us there is no such thing as just one...hence the NOPE Mantra. Don’t get angry with yourself...get angry with the smokes, really get your mindset to reflect on how much they have taken from you....learn to hate them...really hate them and you will make the quit much easier..because we don’t want what we don’t like. Start with the first step Day One and take it a day at a time...you have done it before and you can do it again. Don’t delay or postpone...go for it with 100% enthusiasm, be happy about it....your body, your health, your family and your wallet will appreciate it very much. Stay with us and let us help you.
    I smoked for nearly 50 years and if I can do it, just over two years now, you can.
  • Happiness November 11, 2020 | 0:26
    Hello Aaron and Welcome.
    It is better to have come to us when you have decided that you are ready and WANTING to quit insteading of feeling that your HAVE TO. The former will make it much easier than the latter which you do begrudgingly and it will feel harder too because you feel that you are missing out on something....that is something You HAVE to do rather than something that you WANT to. With all that said, the first step really is to WANT to quit. The other BIG step is believing that you CAN!

You have quit before for many years......I can't imagine wanting to go back to smoking except that you felt more YOU. That you really struggled with it for those years instead of being grateful that you escaped it. The difference this time is that you will DESIRE FREEDOM more than you want to keep being its slave and keeper. Think of smoking in a different light. Don't begrudge quitting. It is a drug designed to keep you hooked and sanctioned by society and government. The greedy don't care that it is killing you, only that they keep you hooked and lining their pockets. You can keep your money and enjoy it and life and have the satisfaction of knowing you can walk away a winner. Read our stories. We escaped and choose to stay free. You will too.

Click on my name "happiness" above and find the link to a free e-book by Allen Carr. Find the right mindset and stay free.
  • Happiness November 11, 2020 | 2:39
    Sorry about getting the name wrong Jonquil. The working link is down in the comments section so I willl go back and see if I can fix that post. Here it is:
  • Safe2017 November 11, 2020 | 6:28
    Sounds like my story. Just when you think you have this addiction beat, just one puff takes you right back where you started. Happened twice before to me, not gonna happen a 3rd time. Practice NOPE and you'll be okay - not one puff ever. Good luck to all.
  • Jonquil November 12, 2020 | 1:45
    Thank you all. It is important that I know I am not alone.