Aaron101
South Eastern Sydney
22/10/2020

Australia has very poor quit smoking support!

Posted in Hints and tips 24 Oct 2020

Hi,

I'm stunned at how few resources there are in Australia to support people who want to quit smoking - this website is the most i could find, and its not really a forum but more for people to put a few 'stories' here and there.

We have the world's most expensive cigarettes! though all the government websites/resources are shallow and hollow.

e.g. https://www.health.gov.au/resources/collections/national-tobacco-campaign-resources

old, outdated and probably forgotten.

This is such a shame.

I found some forums in the uk and canada where you can have proper forum features, quit counters, proper alerts etc. I will join those.

Also, there a lot of apps now with more active support, buddying etc.

Does this site have active moderators ? I still see a spam post about 'getting your husband back' lol...

Guess that monster tax for $57 cigarettes has ensured the gov'ts wont take this seriously.

GL all!

• Lia October 24, 2020 | 16:48
    Hi Aaron101. Unfortunately addiction does not care what Governments do. If it was not for a particular subscriber over 5 1/2 yers ago who made sense to me, I would not have dived in cold turkey. You weren't born with a cigarette in your mouth. That was your choice. That was the choice we all made. Only fellow quitters can truly support a quit trail. Ever heard a non smoker say they would love a smoke. Probably not. That is the mind set of smokers who think of all reasons to light up. Only quitters know how to support those trying to do so. My fellow quitters from over 5 years ago still surface and reassure me that congratulations are in order and this is such a thrill as it is very genuine. Doubt if your apps will understand what you are going through and respond with a bit of a SOH where applicable.
  • New chapter October 24, 2020 | 18:14
    I totally agree Lia,it’s sites like this with real people real emotion that help us quit,I stopped smoking nearly 3 months ago and without this sites support I woul never have achieved it😀👌
  • Aaron101, South Eastern Sydney October 24, 2020 | 21:33
    Congrats on the 3 months... thats a really nice milestone.. Actually governments do care what addicts do or at least they claim to? isn;t this a government website? I'm sure not everyone that works for quitline was a former smoker/addicts.. The apps I'm using do have actual people on them, not robots..

Thanks all for your kind comments.. Regards
  • Red-67 October 24, 2020 | 22:22
    Yea, With the kind of money they are raking in, off smoking addicts, you would think they could send someone to hold your hand, and tuck you in at night, to help you quit. :)
    But, seriously, you can't help but wonder, where all these millions, in tax money is going. ? ? I read somewhere, here in the States, a pack of 20 cigarettes cost less than $ 2 to make. Sure, Big Tobacco is getting rich on the users, but, it is the governments, with HUGE taxes, raking in the profits. Here, they claim smoking is a luxury, same as alcohol, so they can slap high taxes on it, but still nothing, compared to what Australia is putting on them.
    If we assume, with import, and shipping, double that. Now yours, in Australia, actually cost 20c each. Sure, they claim, raising the tax every year is to make people quit, but just where, or to whom, are all those millions going ? ?
  • Aaron101, South Eastern Sydney October 24, 2020 | 22:36
    I used to buy a particular brand of 25 (wont mention brand to avoid triggering anyone / nostalgia) - they are now $58.00 at the petrol station - I quit smoking 4.5 months ago and quit vaping 2 weeks ago.. I'm wasnt suggesting earlier anyone 'hold your hand' - as we all know - that wouldn't help anyway! its all about each person having the strength/courage/support to do it themselves - though my point was an active 'forum' style website, with threads, topics, sub-forums, alerts, (like most other forums in 2020) would help - but maybe thats just me... this website has some of these things but in a limited way - but thats my opinion - GL in your quits!
  • Happiness October 25, 2020 | 0:21
    I started out with a quit smoking forum in Canada...where I am from. It seemed to shun me for promotion cold turkey. In effect, it was promoting NRT....again that dreaded nicotine. While any method of quit is good in the end, it really is just another money grabber. The Mindset of WANTING to quit, the BELIEF that you can and the SUPPORT of others who know how you feel are what's really important. iCanQuit provides that and I think in a much better way than some sites I took a look at. Here , we can follow a person's story, ask a person a question in back pages if we want privacy.....although it will be viewed by some, lol and even exposed mistakenly by the administration in an attemted change of venue. (Some will remember that). I have managed to make contact with some vis e=mail, as you noted, the administrators miss a lot if you don't trigger certain words on a list.

Knowledge of you and nicotine helps to WANT to quit. I love this site and feel it is the best. I hope you find one that works for you. Perhaps you might read some stories and gain some insight....
  • Red-67 October 25, 2020 | 1:22
    Understand, I was just being sarcastic about the amount of money the government is taking from people. Are cigarettes even made in Australia ? I assume they are shipped in from other countries, like here in the States. That, to me, looks like $ 2 each, in tax, going where ?? I agree, with that kind of revenue, there should be a very well financed program to aid quitters.
    Hard to imagine, that they want anybody to quit, and loose the money.
  • softly40, Mid North Coast October 25, 2020 | 8:41
    Hello again Aaron I have been helping others on this site for just under two years, just like I gave you a reply on your first post, I am sorry I made a typing mistake I dont usually use my phone.

I do not get paid nor do I get acknowledgement from the Admin Moderators, nor does anyone else who replied this time. You are right in respect of not having a proper set up, but this makes us more unique than others, it means no one can just push a button and a standard reply shows up, you are not considered just another number. You are not correct in saying anyone just makes a post now and then, I take my role seriously and feel you could at least consider these points, and if you are clever enough get hold of the moderators.

Everyone can have a say, and everyone can agree or not agree, I think we call this democracy, you are entitled to your say, but the main reason we are here is one goal, to help others on their way to a life free from Smoking and Nicotine addiction. You are also welcome to help others anytime, if you think you have the experience behind you. Help others to help themselves is better than getting spoon fed any day.
  • Happiness October 25, 2020 | 11:35
    A site I was with had quit coaches who responded to questions and comments. I doubt half of them ever smoked. Standard responses, not life experiences.

Another site would not accept anyone who did not quit cold turkey and another was cold and if you slipped you started at day one. Here I am happy to get real responses, feelings and caring from those who know what they are talking about and who know how hard or easy quitting smoking can be. Anyone who even tries to quit is to be commended and a slip is just a temporary setback. I for one am very happy to have found this sight.
  • Nuts October 25, 2020 | 14:18
    Hi Aaron. I think that this site is fantastic. We are not just people posting a few stories. Everyone here is trying to quit, or has done. Our stories help each other with advice and kind words. Sometimes all you need is some encouragement and understanding to keep you on the right track. We all know that smoking is bad for us, and costs way too much, and eventually, hopefully, everyone that wants to quit will do so. Sites like this are here for advice and a place to vent our frustrations and fears. By all means, join other sites, but stick around here as well. You may just make some really good friends. Have a happy smoke free day 💖😊
  • Lia October 25, 2020 | 17:15
    Hi again. Before I quit cold turkey nearly 5 1/2 years ago I spent months googling how to quit. Nothing made sense. Nothing convinced it was going to happen. A pack day for 45 years. Well and truly hooked. I finally saw the light when I came across this site by accident and read a post from a guy called Big Jon. He called his craving "Margaret Thatcher". Sure I might think of a better name. But why bother? That was perfect and from that moment I was able to tell MT where to go. She was relentless over the next minutes, hours, days, weeks and months. I realised someone else was telling me to light up. If it was me, I would have done so. All those years ago subscribers to this site reassured me and shared their stories. Priceless. Even now, we "recognise" each other and know of the journeys we have shared. Lots of humour along the way. Mostly, the only person who can help you is yourself. I hope you open yourself up to the encouragement from others here. Tell them what you are doing to beat the demon.
  • Aaron101, South Eastern Sydney October 25, 2020 | 17:24
    Hi Lia,

That's a great story :) Thanks for sharing, I like that MT analogy! We're all here for the same reason - so appreciate all of the comments and thoughts - this already shows this is a caring and friendly community... Hope to keep sharing the highs and lows with all... ty Aaron
  • Aaron101, South Eastern Sydney October 25, 2020 | 22:13
    Hi Lia,

• Pozz, Southern NSW October 26, 2020 | 16:12
    Hi Aaron,

I just signed up today with icanquit because I saw your post and thought we might be able to help each other.

I’ve been smoking for over 20 years now. It’s really affecting my health and I’ve been trying to quit for years. Recently my motivation to quit is getting stronger because I notice how much sicker I feel. I’m huffing and puffing all the time and have chronic sinusitis which just adds to the difficulty. I also have osteoarthritis right throughout my body, hip and back issues. I had an idea that maybe you and I could write a letter to ourselves, kind of like something we could carry with ourselves and take it out in times of cigarette withdrawals so that we can see why we are quitting. Like a reminder to ourselves that we are willing to love ourselves and something we can turn to in moments of weakness. Our letter to self could be from the strong one within us, the one that will take us through to completion of quitting. It’s just a thought anyways. I’m interested to hear what you think and if you would be up to it and we can share our letter here with each other if you like. Let me know and if you have any other ideas I’d love to hear them. I hope you had a lovely day, darling.

All the best,
    Pozz
  • Happiness October 26, 2020 | 22:48
    Hi Pozz. I think that your letter idea is a great one! We suggest that you keep a reminder of sorts with you to remember why you want to quit and something to do...whether a game on your cell, or deep breathing....

I have a couple of contacts on this site. When you want something you will find a way to do it! You can quit smoking.
  • Lia October 26, 2020 | 23:08
    Aaron, meet Pozz. Hopefully your new quit buddy on this site. Strange how individuals make connections on this site.
  • Aaron101, South Eastern Sydney October 29, 2020 | 0:11
    Hi Pozz and thanks all! :) I'm getting more used to this site now;) its simple and maybe thats why it works so well - just genuine stories and support - I'll do a bigger write up of my 1 month journey so far shortly! suffice to say i have an additional $9k from not smoking for 5 months that needs to be put to good use!