tonymishere
25/07/2020

Coughing out tar after about 4 months

Posted in Quit experiences 15 Aug 2020

I, 35 years old man, quit 117 days (4 days to 4 months) ago after smoking for 18 years. I am still coughing out black tar (phlegm? not sure) 2/3 times a day. It's not everyday but almost with very little gap. I do not have any cough except 2/3 times to throw out tar possibly due to irritation. I am wondering if anybody had such issue before. I googled the symptom but could not confirm how long it stays and how to handle this. I am posting this experience for the record because even if I do not get any answer, at least people will know that such thing can happen and they may not get worried if they experience same. Any help would be highly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

• softly40, Mid North Coast August 15, 2020 | 9:15
    Let me say first tonymishere congratulations for stopping smoking, and lets keep it that way. I personally have not had your experience, but I believe some have had this earlier than 4 months. I do hope you are going to your doctor, this may not just be residual symptoms due to bodily changes. Whatever you and your doctor discover do not return to smoking. NOPE (not one puff ever)
  • tonymishere August 15, 2020 | 19:38
    @softly40 No I have not got checked up yet.
  • tonymishere August 15, 2020 | 20:39
    @softly40 No I have not got checked up yet.
  • tonymishere August 16, 2020 | 21:58
    @softly40 No I have not got checked up yet.
  • tonymishere August 17, 2020 | 1:05
    @softly40 No I have not got checked up yet.
  • Happiness August 17, 2020 | 6:58
    Many others have reportedly started expelling residue from their lungs. I was afraid when it did not happen for me. As long as it is not blood i would expect you are fine. Of course any changes in our health, especially ones that draw concern should be addressed by a physician. Congratulations on your four plus months and keep up the NOPE!
  • Danzaa August 19, 2020 | 21:39
    How did you go with chest tightness and short of breath Tony ? I'm feeling same like you so I'm in my eight weeks, I feel short of breath and cough out brown sputum in morning , my anxiety caused of quitting smoke, I end up in hospital at EU I had panic attack and didn't knew what really was going on with me, I have been following up with respiratory doctors my ct scan, X ray came normal, oxygen level in blood is normal but still I have shortness of breath mate let me know how you going aie 🤘
  • tonymishere October 14, 2020 | 0:33
    @Danzaa I will complete 6 months after 5 days. I have comparatively less problems now but the issues still there. I have intermittent chest tightness/pain once/twice a month which goes away without any medication. Less phlegm and no shortness of breath this month. Please share your experience as well.