Julyrose1
19/04/2020

Staying quit in a difficult time

Posted in Staying quit 27 May 2020

Hi all,

I'll be six weeks quit on Sunday 1st June and it is literally a miracle to me that I can actually say that....On 10th May (exactly 3 weeks into my quit journey) my father-in-law passed away suddenly. It was such a huge shock and absolutely heartbreaking, we are a very close family so it hurt alot. The added stress of being responsible for funeral arrangements and everything else has made things even harder...but I refused to use my bereavement as an excuse to start smoking again. My father in law was a chronic smoker and it is very likely that it contributed directly to his death so I resolved to stay strong and....miraculously I was able to (just). It's been really tough, I'm not going to lie and I've been very up and down but I truly feel free of nicotine now (the only silver lining in this whole tragedy) because if I can go through this and not smoke then why would I ever crack for less.

• Happiness May 27, 2020 | 4:41
    Knowing that if you did smoke would not solve a single thing and make you feel much worse. I am sorry for your loss. Your grief is in the right place. Honour your father- in - law and do what he probably wished he could do a thousand times. You are doing great. I am sure he was proud of you at the three weeks . Achieving our goals is an amazing feeling. Kudos to you!

• PuffNoMore, Southern NSW May 27, 2020 | 10:52
    You are on coarse for 6 weeks and even under extreme pressure and sadness you didnt crack! You should be proud of yourself for not succumbing and avoiding your bereavement as another excuse to smoke.
    Great going, Youre a non-smoker before the ripe old age of THIRTY.
    Its a mind game.
  • Julyrose1 May 28, 2020 | 2:18
    Thanks guys - I appreciate your words of support. It's really tough but you are right that I do need to just keep focused on the positives. Thanks again
  • PuffNoMore, Southern NSW May 28, 2020 | 22:43
    Hi Julyrose, Just dont smoke and you will find it easier as as you go.
    Let it go.
    Its not needed anymore.
    Smoking is not wanted anywhere; these days,
  • PuffNoMore, Southern NSW May 28, 2020 | 22:47
    There is no real good EXCUSE for smoking. Its Stupid to be honest.
  • TWS, Northern NSW May 29, 2020 | 1:21
    You sound strong, well done considering the circumstances, its great that you could live with the cravings and withdrawals during this trying time. I'm 2 years off the smokes and i believe after everything you've endured you can continue smoke free. you can do it.
  • PuffNoMore, Southern NSW May 29, 2020 | 22:45
    Hi There,
    Get it to six weeks.
    After that dont let the demon nicotine enter your body.

I often tell myself , no matter what, I DONT SMOKE.
  • Julyrose1 June 09, 2020 | 4:10
    Hi guys, I have made it to week 7 so yea....definitely confident that I have broken the back on it now. Still find it difficult sometimes when my partner smokes right in front of me or in an enclosed space but now its more of an annoyance than a temptation. With such horrible times all around right now I can safely say that quitting has been the only good thing to happen in 2020 so far! Thanks again guys for all your support :)