Marik h
Story
7/04/2020

Advice for incoming non-smoker

Posted in Getting started 08 Apr 2020

Hi All, I am starting my quit journey on Friday this week. I’ve tried to quit twice before but failed. I am currently working from home so have a lot more time on my hands over here in London. I’m 28 years old, ironically pretty active around exercise. I smoke 13 roll ups a day but used to smoke around 10 camel cigarettes a day, before switching over. My dad is in his early 60s and smoked all his life, I see the way he coughs and splutters and it breaks my heart. Any advice or help would be invaluable to me and I will look to update you all on Easter Monday. My quit day is scheduled for good Friday, I figure if I can make it through the weekend and with social distancing in force so no alcohol as a trigger it will stand me in good stead. I start a new job at the beginning of May and don’t want to be bringing this filthy addiction with me when we are eventually allowed back in the office. Any help, advice or support would be greatly appreciated. My dad smokes in the house for example so that could be a potential pitfall. Wishing you all the best in these uncertain times.

• Robn April 08, 2020 | 9:36
    Hi Maria, well done to you on your decision to stop being a slave to a little tube of tobacco. The best advise I can give is to know in your heart and your mind that you never want to smoke again. Sounds simple but it takes a bit of soul searching to really believe. Read Allen Carr’s book, Easyway to Quit Smoking...it was very helpful to me in getting my mindset right. Take it one day at a time....don’t look too far ahead. With the right mindset you can be through it all in three weeks and then the rewards come everyday and you won’t believe how powerful it can be. Go for it.
    As for dad smoking inside....this is your journey and with the right mindset nothing will derail you from your mission.
  • penelopejane April 08, 2020 | 14:49
    I know people who successfully quit around other smokers. Then everyone in the household quit. Don't be afraid to take the lead. Set the example. You could help your family immeasurably. Definitely go ahead with your quit plan. Best wishes. You've got guts.
  • Gerdus April 08, 2020 | 15:00
    I'm 27 and have been 10 days smoke free. Like you I'm also pretty active and exercise a lot even when I was smoking. I can tell you one thing exercising has made quitting a lot easier and you will feel a lot better while exercising. I had one beer on my second day of not smoking and the craving for a cigarette was so intense it drove me mad so I decided not to drink at all till I feel like I've successfully kicked the habit successfully.
  • softly40, Mid North Coast April 09, 2020 | 8:29
    Congratulations on taking the plunge and joining our forum Marik H, It might sound strange but this could be perhaps the right time to stop smoking, especially if you are working from home.

You will have the privilege of resting when tired, writing down your reasons working on your strategies and above all learning about the damage that cigarettes and Nicotine does to your mind and body.

The mental aspect is so important, so feed yourself with loving thoughts, and genuine respect for yourself and others. Stay close to this forum and you will not feel so isolated in your journey.
  • PuffNoMore, Southern NSW April 09, 2020 | 23:37
    Hi in London still, Heres 10 tips that are just a carbon copy from IcanQuit HOME TAB,,,,,,,PS, hoping I wont be fined for plagiarism? or copyright? lol

You Quit, You Win
    TOP TEN TIPS FOR QUITTING

You are more likely to quit if you try more than one technique. Different approaches suit different people.
    1. Get free support from our professional quit smoking advisors

Talking one-to-one can increase your chances of quitting. You don’t need to be ready to quit straight away. Quitline will help you get ready, and help you work out what will work best for you.
    2. Stay focused with Quit Plan

Track how much money you can save when you quit
    Set a quit date to aim for
    Track the number of cigarettes you smoke each day
    Get email support during your quit attempt

Register A Quit Plan Now
    3. Get daily support with the Quitly chatbot
    4. Get help from real ex-smokers

Visit the iCanQuit forum
    5. Smooth the ride with Nicotine Replacement Therapy (NRT)
    6. Talk to your doctor about quit smoking medication
    7. Use mobile apps for support on the go
    8. Order a free
    9. Calculate how much money you can save
    10. Stay on track once you quit
  • Marik h April 10, 2020 | 7:20
    Hi All, thank you for the kind words. Am starting tomorrow so wish me luck.
  • Happiness April 10, 2020 | 20:18
    You have plenty of support and people cheering you on here Marik. Read and Learn about you and nicotine, how others quit and how you can too. Embrace this wonderful change that you have decided to make. You won't be sorry.
  • PuffNoMore, Southern NSW April 10, 2020 | 23:01
    If you have had your last cigarette and your last puff, we support you.
    If you truly believe you will never puff on cig again, we trust you
    You are now free of the disease of smoking addiction.
    Stay free and happy Easter in London Marik
  • Spiff April 12, 2020 | 20:55
    +1 for reading Alan Carr’s Easy Way to stop smoking. I heard about it here, it helped me, and I have given it to a handful of my friends and family as well. If they read it, they quit!
  • PuffNoMore, Southern NSW April 13, 2020 | 23:57
    I am another who read the book and it re-set my mindset to Quit properly and completely.
    It was the best $27 I have ever spent!