Kenstar
Illawarra Shoalhaven
1/02/2020

Slipped but didn't fall

Posted in Staying quit 06 Apr 2020

Hi, so I'm 67 days smoke free from my initial quit date however I had a small slip about 10 days ago. I had had a small bingle in my car the day before. I was feeling pleased with myself as I had sourced a new guard and headlight assembly from the wreckers for a good price and had the afternoon free to fix my car. I thought I would have a beer while I worked and it was going ok except I hit a few challenging nuts/ bolts etc and started feeling stressed. I don't work on cars much these days but did a bit when I was younger and the work was always punctuated with a smoke while you thought about a problem or whatever, I wasn't expecting to feel triggered as I was around 8 weeks quit and had been feeling reasonsbly comfortable so I was unprepared for the craving, my neighbour then turned up also with a beer and proceeded to light up. I got the f.... it's. and said "I'll have one of those", he looked a bit shocked as he knew I was quit but handed me a smoke which I lit and smoked about half. Just then my partner turned up after being away for a few days working, she works in health and had been stressed particularly with the pressure of the current pandemic and changes at work. I didn't want to stress her further or disappoint so I stubbed it out and went back to my NRT, which is gum and inhalers. I haven't smoked since and told her about it a few days later. On reflection I think the unexpected but very old, powerful and ingrained trigger of the situation coupled with stress, frustration and opportunity led to this lapse.

On the upside I was able to refocus on my goals, use my quit methods and not allow one cigarette to become two then buying a packet and back to smoking. I experienced increased cravings for about a week after this and kept using the stategies which have been working.

Hope my story helps someone.

Cheers

• Happiness April 07, 2020 | 0:58
    As you say a slip but not a fall. Doesn't seem worth the craving intensity to go through again for the sake of a few puffs. Some might not be as lucky either. Remember why you quit and how much your life has been enhanced without the demon in tow.
    Good recovery Kenstar.
  • AngieJ, Hunter New England April 07, 2020 | 6:58
    Thank you so much. Both my parents and brother smoke, plus my son. It’s tough.
  • softly40, Mid North Coast April 07, 2020 | 9:58
    You have worked out it already Kenstar, it only takes a second to cave in and a week of anxiety to even yourself out again. NOPE (not one puff ever) Every day.

Congratulations on your 67 days.
  • PuffNoMore, Southern NSW April 07, 2020 | 19:13
    Any Excuse for a smoke. Oh yes, thats how I used to think. Needed a smoke before starting anything. Always a reward smoke after a job well done. And always a smoke in between if the job got a little bit difficult.
    Loved your story. It described the old smoking days exactly.
    I hope you continue on here, because You write Quite well. And I hope you learnt your lesson 1o days ago?
  • PuffNoMore, Southern NSW April 07, 2020 | 19:37
    You also explained that you had increased cravings for a week after that half a smoke! There;s lesson #1 right there!
    NOPE is the solution.
    (Not One Puff Ever)
  • PuffNoMore, Southern NSW April 07, 2020 | 22:12
    Hi Kenstar,
    ......................I'm so impressed with your story and I feel I should highlight your explanation of how one can start the smoking ritual all over again after many weeks or months of Quitting.
    I Quote " On reflection I think the unexpected but very old, powerful and ingrained trigger of the situation coupled with stress, frustration and opportunity led to this lapse. Un Quote, and I implore others not to be tempted with a few puffs, because, the following week may put us under more anxiety and stress due to cravings.

eloquent story Ken. I challenge you to meet me at our 100 day smoke-free achievement's.

It remains all in the mind.