RIDING OLD SKOOL
South Eastern Sydney
16/08/2012

JUST MY STORY BY JUST A BLOKE

Posted in Hints and tips 17 Aug 2012

Hello Im Chris just a normal bloke that was addicted to cigarettes.

I started smoking young i was a full time smoker at the age of 15 smoking 25 perday when i turned 30 i was on 40 a day, and although i enjoyed smoking i thought it was a good time to give them up and still have time to save my life, so i tried nicotine patches with no luck at all.

On my 35th birthday i quit smoking again patches that failed me again then 3 days of cold turkey FAILED again :(

I didnt bother trying to quit on my 40th birthday (50 aday) but it was heavy on my mind and later in that year i tried hypnotherapy before going on the 3 stages of champix. Ihave to say the champix did make me stop smoking even though i was tired, felt super lazy, ate like a horse and always hungry that resulted in massive weight gain.

I had a bad feeling when the champix script ran out i was going to go back to smoking infact in the last weeks of the champix i did have the odd smoke.

I knew if i went back to smoking so would my gal and things where better saving the $400 pw that used to be spent on smokes between us.

I heard that a friend of a friend was smoking an electric cigarettes (E~cig) and i thought yeah i'll have alook online see if anyone likes them. i ended up on you tube watching people smoke with e cigs and i was blown away then i found out the smoke was vapor that didnt give you cancer or others around you. I soon found people that reveiw these e cigs after hours looking on you tube i placed an order for a very common brand of electronic cigarette (E CIG IS NOT A BRAND). I then ordered myself some e fluid this is the stuff that makes the vapor i have to order my e fluid from overseas because it's illegal to purchace e fluid with nicotine from an Australian vender.

I have not bought smokes since i started vaping, i feel great! i get to kept my vice without all the side affects that smoking has and theres 1000's of flavors - im like a pig in mud !!!

Just remember to keep trying to give up smoking it is a battle within that we all must fight.

if you want to give up and have tried patches and all the other stuff vaping is well worth a look and it seems like the only people view down on it are ex smokers ~ they hate the fact i quit like them but i do something very similar to what they so dearly miss :)

• Mytime August 17, 2012 | 21:27
    Congratulations on your success story. These ecigs seem to help a lot of folks and are gaining a strong following. Shame there is not a push to get them approved by the TGA.

They are sold everywhere in the USA and Europe.
  • GUnit August 18, 2012 | 8:19
    Arent u still getting the adiction of nicotine full filled. I think u are still controlled by the ecig as much.as normal ciggies ...we to smoke when to smoke the ecig??
    Im glad u arent getting the other 4000 chemicals but i dont see u as FREE FRM THE ADICTION.. Just saying mate...
    Im 31 -1month smoke free with the use of champix and havent been troubled with the adiction since the first day.. Stay strong mate....
  • strongLL, South Eastern Sydney August 18, 2012 | 9:08
    Ecigs Rule, smoked them for at least 12 months after quitting. They helped me heaps!!!
  • GUnit August 18, 2012 | 9:08
  • Mytime August 18, 2012 | 9:37
    I find this discussion great. When did smoking just become about nicotine. NRT has proven to be a healthier option than smoking cigarettes. Why is the intake of nicotine so bad.
  • tug August 18, 2012 | 12:35
    mytime, it's not, after all you don't see that many 'quit caffeine' sites do you, but if you smoked coffee beans then there'd me many if not most of the health issues with cigarettes.
  • Sally4444, Northern NSW August 18, 2012 | 13:19
    Hi Gunit, that's great you're off the ciggies! Congratulations. :)

I use ecigs, and yes, I'm absolutely addicted to the nicotine and that doesn't bother me in the least (there's lots of information to read up on regarding nicotine that might surprise you). For me it was either vaping or smoking and nothing in between. I had tried everything and failed (even Champix - twice).

As RidingOldSkool says "I still get my vice without all the negative side effects."

I don't get drunk or use drugs. Smoking was the thing I turned to that kept me a little sane. E cigs is my healthier alternative from smoking the dirties. I couldn't be happier.
  • RIDING OLD SKOOL, South Eastern Sydney August 19, 2012 | 0:48
    GUnit, good luck in your own personal journey and i hope you don't go back to smoking when you finish champix, but if you feel pulled back to smoking just know that vaping could be your safety net !
    I may not be nicotine free but unlike other x smokers i don't have to have my willpower cranked up to 11 !
    Vaping works so well for me and many others~ think about that when you feel the pain in your guts and you get the oh one smoke wont hurt voise in your head when you get of champix.
  • dr.feelgood, Western NSW August 19, 2012 | 17:03
    riding old skool, you are really pushing vaping, champix works for alot of people and there might be voices in your head but not everyone hears voices the has been alot said about vaping lately. why can't we make our own mind up?
  • extre August 20, 2012 | 17:53
    Feelgood, RIDING OLD SCHOOL is probably just exited by the fact he has found something that worked for him. Why wouldnt he want to spread the word? As a user of an e-cig it is very annoying having to explain the legality issues that are incorrectly shouted all over the place.

I too tried zyban and champix, and every approved NRT as well as calling quitline numerous times and failed.

The e-cig worked for me, and shouldnt be something to be afraid of. Its a nicotine liquid, generally flavoured, thats heated in a heating element to create a steam that carries nicotine to the mouth, throat and lungs. Gives the user a similar sensation of smoking in terms of "smoke production", and takes care of the hand to mouth habbit.

It was still a difficult transition from cigarettes to e-cigarettes, as they dont taste like a cigarette, and the nicotine hit is a little different. But after a few days smoke free you get your sense of taste back! thats when the e-cig shines :)
    Whatever keeps you off the cigarettes has to be a good thing. Try NRT, try the drugs, if you fail like I did then give an e-cig a go.
  • rainbow4006 August 20, 2012 | 21:13
    i wish people would stop slamming the vapers, i quit cold turkey 5 months ago, yes it was a struggle but i did it, i recently purhcased an e cig, with no nicotine flavours, its great, i enjoy it and NO! i dont want to go back to smoking cigarettes. feelgood, i think its about time the vapers had a say, we hear a lot about champix, gum, patches etc, but they are not for everyone, or cold turkey for that matter! why cant everyone just encourage everyone else, no matter what their journey is ?
  • RIDING OLD SKOOL, South Eastern Sydney August 20, 2012 | 21:51
    feelgood im not pushing anything, JUST TELLING MY STORY !
    I see you cant help to dismiss any method of giving up smoking that you dont approve of on anyone's own personal story, This site shouldn't be anyone's soap box !
  • RIDING OLD SKOOL, South Eastern Sydney August 21, 2012 | 1:45
    rainbow4006 i could not agree with you more ! thanks
  • baldman28 March 30, 2014 | 3:27
    Hi all. I'm Jeff.
    Im 31 and ive smoked since year 8.
    The longest ive been of smokes is 5 days.
    11 days ago I started on the champix. Im also a functional alcoholic.
    I still drink my 6-8 beers per night but my smokeing has almost gone.
    I bought an e cig today to help with my habit of going outside to think.
    I found that champix has taken away my physical/mental reward of smokeing. Though the habbit is still pleasant.
  • baldman28 March 30, 2014 | 3:35
    My cough has emancipated and my vape is a no nicotine e cig.
    I forget to smoke. Even vape.
    Ive put on some weight but id rather be nicotine and smoke free.
    Its realy works.
  • baldman28 March 30, 2014 | 3:35
    My cough has emancipated and my vape is a no nicotine e cig.
    I forget to smoke. Even vape.
    Ive put on some weight but id rather be nicotine and smoke free.
    Its realy works.
  • RIDING OLD SKOOL, South Eastern Sydney March 30, 2014 | 16:44
    Good stuff baldman28 im over 2 years smoke free now thanks to vaping and i feel great :)
    Let me know how your progressing please.