Heinrichvg
Story
10/02/2020

I will not give in to temptation

Posted in Quit experiences 11 Feb 2020

Hello to everyone, I am new to this site and would just like to share my experience so far. I am now 2 days smoke free and today is my 3rd day. Last night I had 6 hours of sleep as where Sunday evening I only had 2 hours. It is getting better day by day but this morning on my way to work I could feel the cravings at certain areas where I use to light one up in the past. I did not give in to that temptation and I am still going strong. Knowing what to expect as I have quit before and the first week is usually the worst for me and then gets better after that.

• jenno211058 February 11, 2020 | 17:00
    Hi Heinrich, welcome to this forum.
    Congrats on making another start at quitting.
    Our Brain can be very manipulative as it needs all the Chemicals also that when we were Smokers craved
    for.. but we need to be stronger than our Brain so Will Power needs to take over, yes the 1st Week usually is the
    Worst Week that most smokers cave in and back to the Smokes again.
    Our Smoking Brain plays tricks and also gives us satisfaction.. Short term., wheather its a drive somewhere or a task preformed... we had a smoke
    on that drive or at that task, we seemed to of rewarded ourselves on this achievement.
    The Brain remembers....the occasions where you had a smoke...
    As a quitting smoker change a few habits, retrain your Brain...
    Goood Luck and keep posting your achievements.
  • PuffNoMore, Southern NSW February 11, 2020 | 22:27
    Just say no thanks until its normal to not smoke.
  • Cend, Sydney February 11, 2020 | 22:44
    Hey buddy, I’m over a week into my journey.
    I’ve mentioned this is my own posts, but thought it relevant.
    Regarding those trigger locations, since I wasn’t sleeping as much and waking up earlier, I left earlier and changed my route to the office. Generally pointed myself in the right direction, but took random turns, a kind of game with myself to keep my mind working and focused on driving, and distracted at the same time. After a week I learned many new ways to work and home, and learned to ignore the cravings.
  • softly40, Mid North Coast February 12, 2020 | 7:37
    Great Idea Cend, let the cravings float away NOPE (not one puff ever)
  • Happiness February 12, 2020 | 9:53
    I am so proud of you for sticking with it and remaining optimistic. Remembering the reasons you quit and staying determined will be rewarded. Also so happy for you as well Puff-no-more. Positive thinking will prevail. You can do it!
  • Red-67 February 12, 2020 | 10:07
    You may have stopped before, but you did not QUIT. Apparently, you were still thinking like a smoker, to ever go back to them. Make this your successful QUIT. You only have to do that once. Just make them something you do not want..
  • Lando, Hunter New England February 12, 2020 | 11:37
    Well done, and welcome. Congratulations on making the decision, and 3 days now. Don't worry about getting through the week. Just get through today. Then when today begins again, just get through it another time. Every day gets easier.
  • mandella, Mid North Coast February 12, 2020 | 16:46
    take in all these reponses to your Heinrich, as i have found over the last 8 days since my stop date, you are not alone, stay with this forum, believe in yourself and you can and will win. Congrats on your decision, stay strong friend!
  • Nuts February 13, 2020 | 14:29
    It funny how we let habits rule our lives. I too had certain spots or times to light up. I would have a smoke because i was half way home or on the phone or before work etc. I didnt always want a smoke, but i had one anyway, because thats what i did in that situation. It was the habit that i found the hardest to get over. But with detemination, I did it, and so will you. Make new smoke free habits. I swapped my smoke habit for a tictac for a while. It helped with needing something to do with my brain at that moment in time. Be strong. You can do it 💕