Donna Day
Western Sydney
Story
31/01/2020

Try chewing gum, I find it helps.

Posted in Reasons to quit 31 Jan 2020

I find if I chew gum it helps me to stay focused on quitting, BUT, then it makes me hungry so I spend more money then necessary on food.

• Happiness February 01, 2020 | 3:43

Quitting smoking is the same as losing 80 lbs, so gaining a few that you can shed later is worth it. Groceries have gone up here too, but still not as much as smoking costs. Homemade is cheaper and of better quality as well and you are worth it! Keep on going and chew your way to freedom!
  • Lando, Hunter New England February 01, 2020 | 14:46
    What is your story Donna - How long did you smoke, and how long have you been quit?
    Believe it or not, as a filthy smoker, I used to actually criticise gum chewers. I have a thing about hearing people chewing. Like fingernails on a chalk board for me.
    But whatever helps you to be rid of the cigarettes is a good thing.
  • Donna Day, Western Sydney February 02, 2020 | 2:57
    I've smoked for 15 years now, I relapsed last night. I was quit for a month.
    I can't stand chewing gum either, I'd love a different technique as the gum gets to the point of making me ALWAYS hungry, which I hate.
  • Donna Day, Western Sydney February 02, 2020 | 2:57
    I've smoked for 15 years now, I relapsed last night. I was quit for a month.
  • Donna Day, Western Sydney February 02, 2020 | 2:58
    I've smoked for 15 years now, I relapsed last night. I was quit for a month.
  • Donna Day, Western Sydney February 02, 2020 | 2:58
    I've smoked for 15 years now, I relapsed last night. I was quit for a month.
  • Donna Day, Western Sydney February 02, 2020 | 2:58
    I've smoked for 15 years now, I relapsed last night. I was quit for a month.
  • DavidAusTX February 03, 2020 | 2:33
    I chew the heck out of gum. Anything to keep me orally satisfied until the urge passes. Try lifesavers or lollipops.
  • Lando, Hunter New England February 03, 2020 | 17:17
    The craving only lasts a couple of minutes. I walk, even just outside and back in again. If at work, to refill a water bottle. If at home, to the mail box or clothes line. Just a short distraction.

I was also cutting up carrot sticks in the first couple of weeks to have on hand, for those later-in-the-night seemingly unavoidable trips to the fridge. Still managed to put on a few kilos, but was expecting to.

Now I have entered 2nd month, it is time to address that. And doing a little targeted exercise with the extra time I now have in my days will help to keep me focussed, and keep the dopamine flowing.