Rosie85
12/12/2019

Week 3 is tough

Posted in Quit experiences 13 Dec 2019

Hi everyone, just joined the forum and have been so encouraged after reading your stories. I have smoked for almost 9 years and I quit 17 days ago, using the patch for the first week to help ease the transition. Now, only using the NRT gum when I have a really bad craving. These last few days have been the hardest. I read about the "quitters flu" and I feel like I could be experiencing that. I've had a stuffy nose, cough and body aches these last few days. Hopefully these symptoms subside soon. Send positive vibes my way!

• Red-67 December 13, 2019 | 4:35
    Hey Rosie, and Welcome :)
    Great, you are well on your way into the best thing you could do for yourself, and those you love. If you can really make a cigarette, something you just no longer want, and don't think of it as anything you miss, or can't have, the end, and freedom, can be fairly easy to achieve. Just a suggestion.. I would be willing to bet, any good, strong flavored gum, or maybe a stick of celery, would quench your craving just as well. Just something you could try. The sooner you can stop giving your body nicotine, the sooner you can be free. You have already beaten the 2 week mark ! You got this.. OH, and you can eat all the celery you want, and not gain weight.. :)
  • Happiness December 13, 2019 | 5:06
    Hi Rosie and welcome. It seems you are well on your path to freedom from smoking and nicotine. While nicotine is still in your system, it really is the shortest part of the journey and overwith the fastest when ready to do so.
    I quit cold turkey because cutting down and staying there was the hardest part before actually quitting. Once I joined a support group and realized quitting smoking really was doable even after 40 years, I jumped the quit date and had no cravings at all after the 72 hours. I believe i did this, as my husband an daughter also, because we WANTED to quit.
    Accepting this journey wholeheartedly and believing in yourself is key. I have no doubt by sensing your attitude that you too can have an easy quit.
    Nicotine is diminished by half every 2 hr. In the morning we awake with very little. So another 64 hours and you are over the worst . In a couple of days some benefits like less shortness of breath and ability to take deep breaths is so invigorating . No one has ever regretted taking this journey. Be assured you are not giving up anything, but gaining so much more than you ever imagined possible. All the best. Think positive. You most certainly can do this.
  • Happiness December 13, 2019 | 5:11
    Did you decipher my message Gene. 99g.mail.com
    Learn about the mindset through reading our stories Rosie. It really does work!
  • Pisces24, Central Coast December 13, 2019 | 8:18
    Welcome Rosie!
    Congratulations to you! 2 weeks is an amazing achievement
    There's a lot of cigarettes in that time that you have turned your back on. You are well on your way to be a Non Smoker.

Of course it's not just the nicotine but the psychological habit that I in particular am struggling with.

Having good friends here on this Forum to support understand and guide you through the difficult times is what's got me through.

They understand as they've been there and walked in your shoes.

I am on 15mg patches and today is Day 9.
    I myself wouldn't get rid of the patches on this level for a good while yet. I'll stay on this level for minimum 4 weeks. I'll see when I get there. I'll then go down to lower level and t h en exit with gum as as backup.

That's my plan at this stage. The patches
    are obviously working as I'm calm and this leaves me able to deal with the other stuff.

I'm not saying do it my way. No way at all. Do it your way. But just a thought??? Maybe you got off the patches too early?

Some people go Cold Turkey so they don't have any NRT aids so it's whatever works for you...
    Anyway, you're going so well. Keep going!
  • Rosie85 December 13, 2019 | 8:40
    Hi Pisces! Thank you for your encouraging words! I agree that I probably should have stuck with the patches longer however they made me feel very weird and nauseous so I had to stop them. The gum does take the craving away so that has been helpful.

Changing up my routine was key the first week. I even drove a different way to work. I've been walking a lot and trying to stay busy.

I really like this forum and the support as my husband has never smoked so he doesn't understand the struggle. Congrats on 9 days! Keep up the good work! Sending positive vibes your way!
  • Pisces24, Central Coast December 13, 2019 | 9:00
    It's so black and white to a non smoker.
    Why would you send yourself broke to kill yourself and stink???
    We know why.
    I'm on 15mg patches but there's a lower dose patch 10mg I think. Maybe consider going slower and not being in such a rush to ditch them as they do keep you steady.
    I too change routes and behaviours.

It's a
    Just a memory from your brain saying "Hey! Where's my cigarette?"
    You're not getting a cigarette from me anymore. Hopefully that will fade away.
    But not totally. I'm sure we will always have t hge nagging voice of the Devil trying to get us back.
    N.O.P.E.
    Not.One.Puff.Ever.
    Then you won't go back to that awful place of being an addicted smoker again.
    Keep going strong. We're here for you Rosie.
  • Pisces24, Central Coast December 13, 2019 | 9:08
    Maybe your patches were too strong?
    It's a very precarious time now.
    You're doing the right thing thing by changing routines and exercising.
    Do something that makes me you feel happy and nice.
    You're special and worth it.
    Thanks for your good vibe wishes too.
    Got em!🙋‍♀️
  • Red-67 December 13, 2019 | 9:28
    Rosie;
    If you are doing OK, without the patch, it's all good. The goal is to leave the nicotine behind, as soon as YOU are comfortable. I was not suggesting you throw it away, just alternatives, worth trying :)
  • Happiness December 13, 2019 | 11:01
    Don't forget that any nicotine keeps the sensors activated. They shut down in three weeks, but if you just don't have nicotine for three DAYS, 72 hours you are through the worst and basically nicotine. Then the second phase, the psychological phase starts. It is the hardest 80% of the quit. It involves practice of becoming a non-smoker. There are times where you will crave it out of a void, or boredom, or a remembrance. But all cravings are but mere thoughts. Don't think negative to fight them, damn i can't have a smoke, i need one. Realize that you don't need one, Smoking never did anything for you. You made two great decisions, the first being to quit smoking and nicotine and the second was joining this forum.
    Think positive when a craving hits. You are winning! It is begging for dinner. You are in control of it and your life once you show it once and for all who is boss. Learning the mindset not only makes it all easier, but sustainable.
    Be Forever FREE.
  • TryingTK December 13, 2019 | 11:40
    Great job Rosie!!I would say that if you're already experiencing the smokers flu while using the gum, that your body is already having a hard time with that little bit of a nicotine in it. I would say, at the point your at, maybe just stop the gum because it won't get much worse than what you're already experiencing. If you go that route I would spend three days drinking as much water as possible, exercising, sweating in steam rooms, and drinking green tea. These things will help speed up getting it out of your system. Just if your already feeling the effects while still having gum, it may be worth it to stop the gum and just get it over with.
  • Happiness December 13, 2019 | 11:50
    Make sure you eat breakfast and eat well. Drink half the coffee you are accustomed to as nicotine used to diminish its effect. Helps to stay calmer and less feeling anxious. You can do this. I totally agree with Trying TK by the way. You can only get down so far.....have to jump sooner or later anyways. You won't feel any worse!
  • Rosie85 December 13, 2019 | 14:13
    I will try to stop the gum. I feel like I can as I only use 2 or 3 pieces at most in a day. I didn’t know that the nicotine diminished the caffeine effect, that is very interesting. I really appreciate all of your input and guidance. I want to be free of all nicotine and didn’t want to use the NRTs but I wasn’t sure I could quit without them.
    You guys rock. Thanks again!
  • Happiness December 13, 2019 | 16:31
    We also smoked more when we drank because alcohol also diminished the effect of nicotine, so we chain smoked to get the nic level.
    Quitting smoking has the same effect on the body as losing 80 lbs. Thats a lot of stress on ones body
    I smoked for over 40 years /35-30/day and quit cold turkey simply by believing a forum that made me believe i could. Never would have believed i would ever see the day but here i am 1 year quit. You can do it too.
  • Nuts December 13, 2019 | 16:43
    Hi Rosie. Think of your flu like symptoms as a good thing. Its yohr body getting rid of the nasties and healing itself. You are doing really well. Drink lots of water to help with any cravings. They dont last long. Have a positive mindset and you will do it. I am sending positive vibes your way 😚👍
  • Rosie85 December 13, 2019 | 21:10
    You guys rock. Thanks again!
  • Rosie85 December 14, 2019 | 1:03
    You guys rock. Thanks again!
  • Safe2017 December 14, 2019 | 13:30
    Hi Rosie,
    Your Mindset is critical. Gotta believe that your desire to quit is stronger than your want to light up. Good luck and practice NOPE.
  • Rikki January 11, 2020 | 8:36
    It's been awhile since I was on here over the holidays. How are you going, still managing?