Melsy15
Story
26/06/2019

Get health back on track

Posted in Reasons to quit 26 Jun 2019

So I’ve been a smoker for about 17 years now

Saturday I had a severe asthma attack which landed me in hospital very unwell. (Have a history of asthma although nothing present for about 22 years)

Have wanted to quit smoking for quite sometime but the excuses kept over coming me. I was stressed, angry, sad, going out, having a drink or just felt like a cigarette you know the excuses which always make you buy that packet.

Well this was it for me I was too sick to even want a cigarette so I decided it’s now or never.

I’m gonna admit it’s been hard even though I literally could not inhale a cigarette right now hasn’t stopped the cravings. I’ve been a bit snappy, a bit emotional, headaches but I know I can do this, I know I can be strong, I know I can do it not only for me but for my 3 kids who are excited that I haven’t had a cigarette in nearly a week.

I felt I needed to talk to others doing to the same and found this forum.

Thanks for reading and good luck to all of us riding this roller coaster We Can Do It

• Happiness June 27, 2019 | 0:14
    It doesn't have to be a roller coaster Melsey15. Rather than fight the cravings and resent giving up the cigarettes , think in a positive way. You have finally done what you have wanted to do for many years now. Your children are happy for you, and you know that you love life more than the smokes, and what to be around a while longer.

When choosing to make this change, envision yourself looking younger, with clear skin, no nicotine stains and smelling wonderful. Take deep breathes and feel what is supposed to really be like to breathe. Smell and taste things much better, and spoil yourself with the savings. Buy something new to wear. When you look good , you feel good.

You are pass the nicotine addiction and have entered the psychological stage of the quit, and so this forum with its support can give you answers and the support you need to see this through. I encourage you to read and learn about nicotine, how you became addicted, forgive yourself and move forward into a bright new future. NOPE is the mantra, not one puff ever, for it can send you right back to square one. Positive thinking and accepting this journey is key to ending the misery. You will not crave what you do not want. Cravings are mere thoughts. Replace the thought of wanting a cigarette with something else, like i want fresh air, i want my kids to be proud, or think of it as someone you cant stand telling you what to do. Are you going to succumb to the treachery, the vicious cycle for another decade?

You can be free. Embrace this journey to a wonderful new life.
  • DAB57 June 27, 2019 | 12:06
    Hi Melsy15. Welcome and I hope you get well soon. My dear quit friend happiness has given you some great advise. I would just like to add that if you think of each withdrawal as being a bruise from a battle that you are going to win, it might help you get through it a little easier. Remember that the niccotene companies would love for you to pick up the cancer sticks without a single thought for your health or wellbeing or that of your families. Please remember too that you are helping your children in more ways than you can possibly think. A longer life with their parent, not breathing in second hand smoke via air or on clothing etc. The withdrawals will gnaw at you for a little while but you will get through it. I know, I am an ex smoker. Quitting smoking is one of the greatest achievements we can make in our lives. I wish you all the very best and want you to know that we are all with you supporting you on your journey. Again get well soon and here's looking at you.
  • Safe2017 June 27, 2019 | 12:33
    Welcome to the forum where everyone had experienced exactly the same thing you are going through now. Sometimes during initial stage of the quit there are times when it’s too hard to resist the cravings and it seems that it would much easier to give into temptation. That’s the time to pull all your willpower together, pinch yourself, eat sunflower seeds, go for a walk or do whatever and the cravings will pass. But thereafter it’ll get easier and easier each day to live without you fake “friend “ the nicodemon. Soon enough a day will come when you will be free and joyous that you had beat your addiction. Be vigilant and don’t let nicodemon talk you into having just one puff because it never ends there and soon enough you will be back to full time smoking. Good luck
  • Melsy15 June 27, 2019 | 13:11
    Hi all and thank you so much
    All your replies have been so encouraging and I need to hear them.
    Thanks again with support like all of you I’m gonna do this I can do this.
    Thanks again
  • DAB57 June 27, 2019 | 22:37
    Just a quick follow up Melsy15. I love what you have said "I’m gonna do this I can do this." Them's the fighting words we love to hear. You go get em. You have the fight inside you. I believe you will achieve this.
  • Moomoo9 June 28, 2019 | 14:17
    Hoping you feel better soon, and stay strong you've got this
  • Nuts June 29, 2019 | 14:07
    Hi Melsey. I was just like you . I had every excuse in the book to keep on smoking. While i was making those excuses, i couldnt quit, or thats what i told myself. When i made up my mind to quit, and was serious about it, it became easy. It can be easy for you as long as you are serious about it. Be strong and determined and you will do it
  • Happiness June 29, 2019 | 23:25
    I think Nuts has it in a nutshell. Until we are serious, we find excuses to resume smoking because we can't let those excuses go. That is why knowledge, research, this forum and Allan Carr's book for instance are all so valuable . Once we can not only logically rid ourselves of each and every excuse but wrap our brain around it and accept this journey in our hearts can we be totally free. That's not to say you won't ever be free, but that it will take longer ..... until you come to accept.

Don't forget that there is a PDF link to read Allan Carr's Easy Way on that piece i wrote awhile back. Enjoy the read, at your fingertips.. free!
  • NicoleF, Hunter New England July 02, 2019 | 8:31
    Hello Melsey, I hope you are starting to feel better and stronger. Nothing like a stay in hospital is there! I had respiratory collapse back in 2002 and landed in hospital for ten days, first three and half don’t remember as they had me in an induced coma. I thought that’s it I will give up smoking. Anyway when I got home I was alone for a number of hours and guess what, I picked up a cigarette and smoked it and was right back in the habit. So whatever you do don’t fall into the trap of just one to see how you are going with it. Think more another day without and then another day without etc etc. wishing you all the best!