Abrewer
Nepean Blue Mountains
Story
11/04/2019

Day 5 is feeling tough

Posted in Quit experiences 15 Apr 2019

I am day five smoke free

Today is HARD

I have been using patches 21mg

Today I wanted to relax in a hot tub so hadn't put a patch on untill 3pm.

Its been and emotional rollercoaster, I have had to pull the will power out today!

Feel like crawling into a ball and hiding.

I refuse to go back I never ever want to feel like this again.

Counting down the days I need this to get easier.

Before I lose my mind completely 🤪😰

I know its not easy and it will be worth it

But today I will bury my head in the sand and hide away, hopefully tomorrow is a better day.

• Milena April 15, 2019 | 18:54
    It will get easier, freedom awaits. From what I've read and heard, first 10 days are the worst. Try to find something that can help you scratch that itch. For me, gummy bears and roasted sunflower seeds work magic. Try reminding yourself of your goals and what changes - pros and cons in the long run. You are already doing great, celebrate those milestones. Even if it's just a smoke free morning coffee. Best of luck.
  • PuffNoMore, Southern NSW April 15, 2019 | 19:21
    From experience and from what I've heard from most people it takes just 3 days to get over the addiction! So, you're doing good.
    Use those Nicotine patches twice daily if it means you dont smoke and in 7 days you will feel less insecure and more in control of your thoughts & urges to smoke.
    I have heard that some people have used the patches for just a week and have managed to remain a non-smoker.
    Its a mind game.
    Nothing more.
  • Lia April 15, 2019 | 21:22
    Hi Abrewer. Yes, it does get easier. Just don't do something where you will have to relive those first few minutes, hours etc. Look forward. Enjoy whatever wins you are having. Initially not easy but totally doable, especially with support of fellow quitters on this on this site.
  • PuffNoMore, Southern NSW April 15, 2019 | 22:01
    the further distance from that last smoke, makes it easier to resist,.
    Its totally doable
    you can get past it.
  • Abrewer, Nepean Blue Mountains April 15, 2019 | 22:48
    Thanks all...
    I have white knuckled today out.
    Keeping strong tomorrow is a new day 🙏💪
  • BethP April 16, 2019 | 2:46
    As everyone else has said, it will get easier. Please hang in there! You got this! 😄😄
  • BethP April 16, 2019 | 2:46
  • ravisca2003 April 16, 2019 | 11:43
    Trust me coz I hv been there. Now 7month smoke free hence can share first hand experience.

You are actually doing great. Every single day passing by will leave you in a more stronger shape

Yes, initial few days are like a roller coaster but worth standing against smoke.

I invite you to read all of my stories and experiences.

You will cherish your decision one day. Smoking is not normal. We r humans not chimney.

We all are there for u
  • PuffNoMore, Southern NSW April 16, 2019 | 18:07
    Hi Abrewer.
    Every smoke free day gets you closer to freedom. Some days are easier than others, but in the early days it can be "white knuckle" tension at times. Its normal for most ex-smokers to miss that drag, but it does get less intense and less frequent if you get over the hump. Your willpower is required whenever you get the thought of a smoke.
    Stay head-strong
  • Abrewer, Nepean Blue Mountains April 16, 2019 | 18:50
    Thanks for the support everyone
    Today has been better.
    I find If I am busy my mind isn't so fixated on it.
    So glad I joined this page the extra support gives a boost to nail this 😄
    So determined I lost both my parents at age 60 ( 6months apart ) to lung cancer 10 years ago.
    I held both there hands through it hardest days of my life
    both heavy smokers.
    I have smoked between 20-30 smokes a day for 23 years.
    But I am well over being controlled by it all, it has taken so much from my life already.

I want my power back.

• Happiness April 17, 2019 | 8:39
    A wonderful sentiment to hold onto.."I want my power back". In facing reality we can understand how the cigarette habit and nicotine addiction hold us hostage to our own fears that it is strong than us, when that is not true at all. So many have quit and go on to encourage others to seek their freedom as well. It is indeed achievable and sustainable with knowledge and desire. I am sorry for your past loss. Hopefully, you will be an inspiration to your loved ones and keep the chain reaction going. If our desire to quit is strong, we will.
  • PuffNoMore, Southern NSW April 17, 2019 | 18:55
    All power to you.
    keep busy, so that your not fixating on it.
    I apologize if I have reminded you of the past.
    Keep your mind resolute to never smoke ever.
    $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ Think cash, not ash $$$$$$$$$$$$
  • Nuts April 17, 2019 | 22:16
    Hi Abrewer. I used patches for 3 weeks and they worked for me. It helped with the habit part of quitting. You need a lot of determination and positive thoughts. You can do this
  • PuffNoMore, Southern NSW April 17, 2019 | 22:45
    Hi Abrewer. Like nuts you might only need the nicotine patch for a short time to get over the worst , but there's no substitute for determination and willpower. Its an addiction that you have to break first. And then, its just the memory of the old habit that comes into the mind, when you get past that, its HAPPY DAYS, FREEDOM.
  • softly40, Mid North Coast April 19, 2019 | 11:38
    Good comments coming your way to help you Abrewer, remind yourself of the reasons why you want to quit. You might find the reading of Alan Carr useful and uplifting (Happiness can give you the the website) and realizing its not you but the nicotine addiction so when you have finished resting and healing, go look outside at the beautiful country you live in, I've been there and so lovely.