Dobbin
31/12/2015

3 and a half years

Posted in Reasons to quit 02 Mar 2019

Just on 3 1/2 years quit and still can’t quite believe I did it after 53 years of self and family abuse.

Yes the early months were difficult but once my mind engaged in quitting 100% then things got easier.

There are numerous ways of quitting but I took a selfie of myself smoking my last cigarette and went totally cold turkey. Still got that selfie as a reminder.

Benefits as below

Cough totally gone and no wheezing

Clothes smell pretty good all day

Saved a fortune

Built a studio flat in my garage ( not bad at 70)

Won respect of my wife and 2 sons

Had green brown and yellow stains removed off teeth

No yellow and brown stains on fingers

Breath smells normal

Self respect intact

Don’t have to sneak out in rain and cold for quickie

Saved Thousands

Conjunctivitis cleared up

No midnight trips to all night garage

Lung function improved

Cheaper insurance

Walk 2 miles a day without panting

The list goes on and on

Caviat. One ciggy puts me back to square one ( snakes and ladders )

Thanks icanquit.

• Maestro40 March 03, 2019 | 1:37
    Awesome Dude!
    Old dog, new tricks and all that...
    You got my respect too!
  • Safe2017 March 03, 2019 | 3:36
    So true and every count. Great job! My respect to you Dobbin.
  • Geo March 03, 2019 | 16:10
    fantastic keep on keepin on !
  • Happiness March 03, 2019 | 16:42
    Congrats Dobbins on managing to avoid #34 on the board. I am proud of myself for quitting 110 days now, something I never ever thought i would or could do. I can't imagine how fantastic you must feel after 3 years, so again my adoration and envy.
    Yes, anyone can quit smoking, even if they start out for secondary motives. Finances, health and other very good reasons (your list hits plenty). Even the best reasons to quit don't make us 100% on board. It is a habit that has been a part of us for decades, not to mention an actual substance addiction. As long as people feel deprived instead of understanding it did nothing for them, and stop "missing their friend" they will crave. Once accepting with their "hearts" as well as wise minds will they truly be free. Embrace being a non-smoker and to being free!
  • Aniruddha March 03, 2019 | 20:31
    awesome!!
  • Lia March 04, 2019 | 18:27
    Hi Dobbin. Great to see you return to remind all that it can be done. Your enthusiasm for your new life is very evident. May this inspire others to follow your lead. And am still 100 days the difference. Not ahead... We know it is not a race. We just know we must pinch ourselves when we have something so important to celebrate, however briefly.
  • Champix champion, South Eastern Sydney March 04, 2019 | 18:57
    (Caviat. One ciggy puts me back to square one ( snakes and ladders ))
    Snakes and ladders is a good analogy. Most addictions are all or nothing.
    I am about to be free of the addiction once more congratulations on your success and thanks for checking in and sharing
  • Rachel2011, South Eastern Sydney March 31, 2019 | 23:28
    Well done Dobbin, that is excellent. I love that you listed all the benefits from not smoking. I am right at the beginning of another of numerous attempts and find your story very inspiring.
    Thanks!