pixiebum
Hunter New England
Story
2/03/2019

I Can Do This

Posted in Getting started 02 Mar 2019

Last time I quit, cold turkey, hard, but stopped for 28yrs, started again, emotional reasons. Harder this time, using NRT, & willpower, having a prob with patches, they fall off. Any advice would be appreciated. thanks

• Safe2017 March 03, 2019 | 3:45
    You are in the right place Pixiebum. Thanks for sharing and reminding us that 28 smoke free years can go down the drain is a powerful massage in itself. Drink fluid, exersice or just walking helps a lot but the key to your success will be your willpower. Good luck and stay strong.
  • Happiness March 03, 2019 | 17:57
    Welcome Pixiebum.Glad to hear you have decided to get back on the high road. A tensor bandage would help keep on the patch i am sure.
    I am not sure why you feel this time around is more difficult, although i guess the "good of the family, money and role model" may not seem to apply today. Maybe your reasons have changed? Sometimes it is about our health, which isn't so important to us, but should be. Do you want you kids and grandkids to witness a lingering demise that may be preventable? I never thought i could quit, until i considered this question. My partner had to endure this. I am happy to say that he quit "again" 2 weeks after i did. My daughter is a week quit today! I am so proud of her.

I am sure you will succeed again this time as you did before. Your kids are your kids, no matter how old, .... and vice versa. It is a two way street. How would you feel if they took drugs to cope? You are still their role model. Show them you can do this..... again!

Thank you for sharing, and showing that one puff is dangerous ... even after 28 years. We hope you have spared others from learning the hard way. That is why forums are so valuable. We do understand and support each other. All the best to you.
  • Nuts March 03, 2019 | 19:25
    Hang in the Pixiebum. You did it once, you can do it again. Put a bandaid over your patch, but dont stay on them too long.
  • Nuts March 03, 2019 | 19:26
    I meant hang in there
  • Nuts March 03, 2019 | 19:28
    Well done to your daughter, Happiness
  • Lia March 04, 2019 | 18:33
    Hi. 28 years and still a smoker. Once a smoker, always a smoker. Yours is a story others must make themselves aware of. Anyone quitting must surely have a reason to celebrate with a cigarette. Anyone quitting must surely have a momentous lifetime experience which gives them the excuse to light up. Funny, but wonder what a real non smoker, never smoked individual may do. Certainly not what we have done in the past. 3 3/4 years smoke free...