AddyCanQuit
South Eastern Sydney
Story
9/01/2019

Cliche NYE resolution? (right here!)

Posted in Reasons to quit 10 Jan 2019

I was the bright spark that decided to quit on New Year’s Eve at 11:45pm.. right before the fireworks kicked off.

My timing was certainly cliche. I’ve tried quitting several times over the last 5 years.

Something clicking this year though. Smoking has ruined my life for the past 5 years. It’s the toxic relationship I’ve been & now it’s time to flick it.

It’s caused me to become alienated from certain friends (healthy ones & those with young kids - ie the ones with positive grounding influences). It’s given me an excuse to drink more coffee & a LOT more wine. It’s distracted me from work when I’ve had deadlines. It’s drawn out colds & coughs longer than they needed to linger. It’s even expanded my waistline contrary to popular belief, because picturing myself as some ridiculous rebel who drinks, smokes & doesn’t settle down has fueled late night bingeing & lazy Netflix hangover recovery weekends with triple the usual carbs. It’s lost me thousands of dollars at $33 for a pack of 20 a day.

On a positive note- I downloaded MARIO Run on the iPhone & it’s literally the best distraction!!!! That & carrot/celery sticks cut up into cigarette sized portions to munch on throughout the day has really helped so far.

Know it’s VERY early days. Would appreciate any advice!

• Happiness January 10, 2019 | 2:34
    You seem to be doing well enough this far on your own AddyCanQuit. You have the will to get nicotine out of your life, and that is half the battle. I trust you have read many stories here and maybe marked those that resonate with you.

Every quit is different and everyone has their own reasons and method of dealing with it. I would stick with what is proving to work for you up to this Day 9, You have made great strides, and every day should get easier.
  • Buster Gusset , Sydney January 10, 2019 | 7:28
    Good on you Addy how’s it going?
  • Activeman, Western Sydney January 10, 2019 | 12:18
    Keep it up addy ! Stay strong
  • AddyCanQuit, South Eastern Sydney January 10, 2019 | 18:24
    Thanks Guys!!! I’m really enjoying reading through the posts.

Don’t know about the other new starters, but I found myself incredibly snappish on my lunch break today at work today (Day 10).

Was subconsciously giving strangers random dirty looks on the way to the food court & realised it was because I was bracing myself to walk past the cbd smoko crew down an all too familiar back alley.

So I found myself doing a bit of a U turn on the spot, marched into the massage place & treated myself given I’ve apparently saved $410 in 10 days! Haha.

Gawd I hope all this quitting doesn’t send me completely bonkers!
  • PuffNoMore, Southern NSW January 10, 2019 | 19:30
    LOL
    Its the new you, get used to it.
    If your over the physical withdrawl, Be ready to tackle the extra time you gain from smoking and planning your next smoke break, I am still struggling with the time factor,although, I vow never to buy another packet.
    My old habit costed me( $34.95 30 everyday)
  • AddyCanQuit, South Eastern Sydney January 10, 2019 | 20:27
    Thanks PuffNoMore! Congratulations to you as well for getting back on track. It’s never easy. I’m definitely struggling with the extra time too. Now I can finally write that epic novel?? Haha.
  • PuffNoMore, Southern NSW January 10, 2019 | 21:00
    Keep posting, you've brought some humour with you.
    I mean, I think your funny AND upbeat.
    What kind of massage place did you march into?
    Of course it had a happy ending!
    I'm not funny. GAWD
  • Debbie317 January 11, 2019 | 0:25
    I think early days are the most important. cuz if we never started to stop we would not ever stop. I am in my early days too and i am counting everything..the money i save the days hours mins..any thing and everything to keep the cig cravings away. bad bad go away dont come back another day. my no cig chant. you can try it could help especially if it make u laugh :) good luck
  • Happiness January 11, 2019 | 11:21
    Everything COUNTS in a quit....lol...and PuffNoMore, you keep concentrating on the Messages, not the Massages!
    Irritability is a part of nicotine withdrawal, but also cause by too much caffeine. Drink lots of water too. And keep your mind on the finish line.... not the gutter...lmao
  • AddyCanQuit, South Eastern Sydney January 11, 2019 | 23:22
    Hope you’re all having a smoke-free weekend guys!!! Remember the old days when you’d be out by a stack of $$$ before it even started budgeting for cigs?? Well now spend the dosh on spoiling yourself!!

Ps. And no I’m not recommending raunchy massage joints puff! That sounds like swapping 1 creepy habit for another! Haha
  • PuffNoMore, Southern NSW January 13, 2019 | 21:08
    Totally smoke-free and haven't been to a massage joint since,?? Possibility, 1983???