Dobbin
31/12/2015

Rarely have ciggy thoughts.

Posted in Quit experiences 04 May 2018

969 days from my last cigarette and it still amazes me that I rarely think of a cigarette let alone desire one. For those that have just started just hang on because the rewards are fantastic.

I have a cold at the moment and I was remembering those dreadful bouts of bronchitis caused from smoking. Hot and cold sweats. Rasping coughs. Bringing up foul green stuff. Coughing all night trying to bring it up. Thank God that’s gone and all I have is a cold.

It is sad to see the patients with their drip bottles standing outside our local hospital in the cold taking their fix of nicotine.

I smoked since I was 14 ish and quit after 53 years of puffing sometimes 40 ciggys a day. I could have bought another house with the money. Thanks here at icanquit for all those quit buddies who helped me on the way.

• Safe2017 May 04, 2018 | 18:33
    Right on Dobbin!!!
  • Pegster May 05, 2018 | 1:19
    91 days now for me and it is posts like yours that keep me going! Yes! It is a blessing to be done with those horrible things!!
  • Dobbin May 05, 2018 | 8:20
    Well done Pegster you are well on the way to freedom. 91 days is a fabulous achievement and I am sure your over the worst. It just gets better.
  • jenno211058 May 05, 2018 | 20:14
    Well done Dobbin, yes the rewards are there for our lungs not to be working overtime
    Trying to give us more breath...
    I have given up on the days of how long i have given up, but work on months..
    Also great that smoking don't rule my life no more, what a false friend it was....
  • Lia May 06, 2018 | 12:25
    Hi Dobbin. I too do not miss my old so called "friend". And whenever "Margaret Thatcher" comes to try to destroy my success and to steer me in the wrong direction I can tell her where to go. Power to you and all who encouraged me oh so long ago. I really enjoyed our banter on this site. The support here is so amazing and powerful. Nearly 3 years... Hmmm...
  • Dobbin May 06, 2018 | 17:50
    Hi Lia. Great effort and by my reckoning ( as I am 100 days behind you ) you have about 24 or 25 days to go for your 3 years. Who would have thought during those really tough early days that we could be so free from the horrendous cravings and withdrawals. I hope I will never forget the insidious damage nicotine can do and never weaken.
  • Brenda Jane May 07, 2018 | 14:55
    Thank you so much Dobbin you just helped me get over the worst craving ever.You are the inspiration I needed,not to have that smoke I have been craving all day.
  • Brenda Jane May 07, 2018 | 14:56
  • Dobbin May 07, 2018 | 16:17
    Hi Brenda Jane. Well done. The crazy thing about this addiction is that the body thinks that it needs the nicotine we are desperate to get rid of. It doesn’t of course and eventually the body realizes that and you wil be totally free from the cravings ( apart from the rare one that only lasts seconds ). Keep going and stay close on here. The rewards keep coming.
  • Brenda Jane May 07, 2018 | 17:02
    Thank you so much Dobbin for the encouragement.I have not long found this site and I am slowly navigating my way around.I haven’t even finished my profile,hopefully I will tomorrow.
  • storm, Murrumbidgee May 08, 2018 | 18:52
    Hi Dobbin
    congrats on 969 days and thank you for returning with your stories
    I remember you from when I started, I am now 784 days
    Without the support of this forum and some of the old names here in your comments i am not sure I could have done this, so again thank you and well done to you
  • Dobbin May 09, 2018 | 9:21
    Hey Storm. Remember you well. 784 days seems like yesterday. Agree this is a great support forum and I was clicking on every few hours when I started. The support here is invaluable and I really don’t think I would have lasted without it. Well done again.