manchild
17/03/2016

One year without smoking

Posted in Quit experiences 03 Feb 2017

I have not reached 1 year without nicotene yet but I want to. Actually, I don't want to smoke ever again. I think that I can only keep that promise 1 day at a time, so I keep it simple and think yes, today I won't smoke and that I can achieve for sure. If you just gave up smoking, then don't think about tomorrow either, just think about getting one day behind you, then two - because 1 +1 = 2. Then 3 etc. One by one, moment by moment. Every minute and hour that passes by for those who just quit is a victory. Count your victories hour by hour and day by day if you have to. Be encouraged with your progress!! Don't you know that die hard smokers are probably not good at encouraging themselves? How can they be when they are poisoning themselves with nicotene moment by moment.

You want the willpower to give up smoking but you won't get that willpower if you are still smoking. Your resolve is gone when you smoke. What kid goes and buys a delicious ice cream and then resolves not to eat it when its in his hand? No! For me, I must first rid myself of nicotine in any shape or form until I have enough time behind me so that the drug is not the only thing talking to me. I needed enough time to feel good about giving up. Even today as I write (11 months) I need to remind myself that I've quit that long and that I've done well in doing that. In fact, its so good, why would I want to spoil everything and go back to a horrible kind of nicotine slavery again.

Whats happened to me to be able to stay away from nicotine is a change of mind. Its a resolve! It has not come overnight but it has been taught to me and I learned much of it here by spending time with others trying to figure out how I am to view this disgusting habit that is destroying me.

• Steve01 February 03, 2017 | 17:45
    Great going Manchild and thanks for the encouraging post too.
  • jenno211058 February 03, 2017 | 20:38
    You have done so well, Manchild.....
    I'm sure I can confidently put the Champas on ice to mark your 1 year mark.
    Well done.
  • jenno211058 February 03, 2017 | 22:05
    You have done so well, Manchild.....
    I'm sure I can confidently put the Champas on ice to mark your 1 year mark.
    Well done.
  • debbieuk February 04, 2017 | 6:01
    Well done manchild so close to the 1 year now. What a celebration it will be. Congrats!
  • Lia February 04, 2017 | 21:44
    Hi manchild. Great to see someone else reporting on a successful journey close to a year. Glad you still have the determination to persevere as so many have simply disappeared. I am up to day 615 and it is lonely here. Don't get to bounce ideas off similar fellow quitters. Initially there is a lot of sharing and gradually that support just falls away... Suppose at some stage one must be confident enough to go it alone... Hmmm
  • manchild February 04, 2017 | 22:35
    Hi everyone. Thanks for your encouragement. Congrats Lia on day 615!! I will never forget this website and people like you.
  • Lia February 06, 2017 | 23:16
    Hi Manchild. After smoking for about 45 years it was time to stop, well and truly. Many thanks for your response. I feel sad when people posting on this site "disappear". I feel sorry for them and the pain they endured in the beginning and eventually tossed it all away for whatever reason. I could never imagine me ceasing smoking. With 5 butts in the ashtray one Saturday morning before Golf game, I finally found icanquit and a post that made me sit up and listen to what was in my head... Half a carton still in the cupboard worth over $115. Must put it on eBay... $13000 saved in 20 months. Brilliant! An amazing pay rise... Hmmm
  • cough cough cough, Illawarra Shoalhaven February 07, 2017 | 21:37
    Well done . I'm over 4years now but still have thoughts then I think about my new found fitness ,the money I've saved which I've spent on shows holidays and concerts . Smoking sucks , don't forget it .
  • Roseanne, Northern NSW February 19, 2017 | 17:52
    Not everyone who disappears has fallen off the wagon. I am 2 weeks off a year being quit. Some time after the 6 months milestone I found that I no longer need so much support. I really started to live life as a non-smoker. I'm sure everyone differs on that point. But ultimately that is my aim. Oh there are times where you crave. I was going through a divorce while trying to quit. I know how, for a moment, it would be so easy to light up in times of stress. You learn to deal with it and gradually these times diminish. Now days I tend to check in on occasion to see where I'm at with both time and money saved. Good luck to everyone and thanks for the support
  • manchild February 19, 2017 | 19:11
    Hi Roseanne,

Glad to hear you are making it! I am about 10 days short of 1 year , so I guess we quit around the same time. As for trials - I think the last year has been full of them but I am grateful that I am still smoke free and nicotine free.