Greenman88
28/09/2016

The importance of letting GO

Posted in Hints and tips 29 Sep 2016

For catching a monkey it seems that trappers take a small cage out into the jungle. Inside the cage they place a bunch of bananas and then they close it, locking the bananas inside. Now a monkey coming along and spotting the bananas, will reach through the narrow rungs of the cage and grab a banana. But he can't get it out. And no matter how hard he tries – twisting his hand back and forth – he can't pull his hand through the rungs while hanging on to the banana. And even with the approaching trappers he won't let go of the banana. For the trappers, it's simply a matter then, of coming up and grabbing the monkey.

Motivational speakers use this story all the time to inspire people to

"let go" of their old perceptions - since in truth, the monkey was never trapped. All he had to do was let go of the banana.

• Johnnie, South Eastern Sydney September 29, 2016 | 18:53
    Very good Greenman........like it.
  • Fullofhope, South Eastern Sydney September 30, 2016 | 21:18
    Good analogy. I like it.
  • Trisha, Hunter New England October 03, 2016 | 23:39
    I've been on champions for 5 weeks and have smoked less but I'm not feing like I can quit. Should I keep going or stop the champion. Please help.
  • Trisha, Hunter New England October 03, 2016 | 23:41
    Champix, not champion
  • Greenman88 October 05, 2016 | 21:19
    I dont know Trisha... maybe you have to write down the reasons for quitting first. Do you really want to quit ? Or are you doing it for somebody else ? Are you ready to start one of your most live changing decisions you will ever do ? Take your time and don t be to hard with yourself . Feel your heart .. Listen to the voice inside you and you will know what to do.
  • Judes January 20, 2017 | 15:27
    I know how you feel Trisha, an earlier attempt at quitting for me just didn't seem right. Started on Champix but continued smoking way past my quit day, so I decided my head wasn't in the right place at that time to commit myself to quitting, so I ceased the Champix. I saw no point in wasting the medication if I wasn't mentally prepared. Now I feel ready, so I'm sticking with it. I'll be frequenting this site on a daily basis because I believe it's an enormous help to anybody starting out on the quitting journey. You really have to want to quit to be successful.....you'll know if you're ready or not, but never give up. Try again if you don't continue this time.