Lia
30/05/2015

Help a smoker become a non smoker

Posted in Hints and tips 16 May 2016

Has anyone on his site become an "obnoxious quitter" who "unfortunately" would like to spread the word and encourage others to quit? With 352 days down I am wandering how to inspire others. Alternative is to pay $40 a packet and deny family and children opportunities... I know of individuals who smoke the equivalent of two investment properties. Surely some of those dollars should be heading towards Superannuation... Nothing worse than a past smoker, except someone who is blindly following their habit. Any ideas.

• weewillem May 16, 2016 | 20:21
    Hey that is a great effort. It is very hard to help anybody to quit as they have to do it for themselves. I wonder if more support could be provided - thought at one stage that it would be good to do motivational speaking, amd to help organise people into groups where they can help each other. That's what this site does, but it's not physical (obviously)
  • IC May 16, 2016 | 20:40
    they could give me the cash that would help me out :)

my point is its not about money look at what addicts do to get money to get their supply , nicotine, alcohol, ice, gambling, and yes nicotine is in those classes.

so yes anyone who watches what addiction does has to deal with their feelings because me you or who ever are powerless over another persons addiction, its just how it is.

no one could make me stop , I had to stop for me, just as everyone else has too.

painful to watch , yes, what's more painful is when I think I can fix or change it, all I can do is do what do and if someone wants help at some stage then maybe I can lead them in the right direction.

I understand how you feel but take yourself back to when you were smoking and didn't want to stop ?? what would you have said to future you??

well done on the 352 days :) that's how you inspire others !!

IC
  • Anne55, Southern NSW May 16, 2016 | 20:54
    I do know that the "usual" sites to quit don't work. The ugly TV commercials don't even enter our heads. The World No Tobacco Day makes us feel guilty, doesn't make us stop. The money thing you have flagged may make a difference. I am not engaged in social media, but am in
    change.org Their petitions do great work. Get to a lot of Australians.
    That may be a good option.
    It may be possible to start a revolution. I am still in the short weeks of this deleting of this horrible addiction, don't have the energy to do this for everyone. My apologies. Hope this assists.
  • Lia May 16, 2016 | 21:13
    Appreciate the feedback. Thought as much. Just needed a reminder... So, if others have published books, what do you hey know that we don't? Hmmm
  • IC May 16, 2016 | 22:20
    they know how to write , nothing new under the sun when it comes to humans and addiction, they just rearrange the words that's all.

I do like that word revolution that sounds like change !! if they gave tobacco away for free no more people would smoke than do now.

its all a con job they whole tobacco industry its no different than the local ice dealer , put lipstick on a pig its still a pig.

IC

IC
  • Anne55, Southern NSW May 16, 2016 | 22:27
    Lia. Would you like to start a petition? I am not sure how to word it Would need some help with that.
  • Anne55, Southern NSW May 17, 2016 | 17:33
    Lia- silly idea of mine, petition wouldn't work. Excuse the late night rambling.
    Hope an "obnoxious quitter puts up their hand!!