manchild
17/03/2016

Letdown after 30, 60, 90 days?

Posted in Quit experiences 09 May 2016

Whoahh! Today is probably the worst day for me in regards to recent cravings. Its day 68 and I feel my cravings are peaking again or something like that. This could be another wave and I just need to hang on. I was reading the following about this somewhere else

From another website on 60,90 days etc. There is a word they've given called

"Letdown"..........

.......But most of us do go through some form of this "letdown." The rest of the good news is that this really is a phase - meaning it will pass...as long as you don't smoke.

So, I'll keep reminding myself today that I have a whole bunch of days behind me and that its important not to let my addiction fool me. I am one puff away from being seriously hooked again.

• manchild May 09, 2016 | 12:08
    I found something very helpful on another website. Hope it helps someone as it is helping me now. I needed to know this:

At three months the "newness" of the quit program is wearing off and we're often left thinking "Is that all there is?" The blahs hit, in other words. That usually triggers cravings to smoke, often quite intensely.

This is a time period when relapse is common.

It can be discouraging to have strong smoking urges surface after months of cessation. For those who don't know why it's happening, it can feel like nicotine addiction will never let go of us, so what is the use of trying to quit.

Patience With the Process

Power on through this phase, because what you're feeling is temporary and normal. Comfort with the new smoke-free life you're building will continue to grow with time, but only if you don't smoke. If you do, you'll be right back where you started 3 months ago.

• IC May 09, 2016 | 12:49
    I have either been manic or depressed motionless sense I started not smoking 41 days ago I figure it cant stay like this for ever, so while I am not craving a smoke real bad I am going through some pretty heavy sh$t , but like my old mate says there only one way through and that's through, no side stepping :) :(

so yes MC no puff today and then see what tomorrow brings.

IC
  • Tee Em, Murrumbidgee May 09, 2016 | 15:01
    Its been 330 days for me today and I'm still hanging for a cigarette. It wasn't my choice to give up so I am still suffering. Not as bad as last month though so it does get better.
  • Anne55, Southern NSW May 09, 2016 | 17:38
    Man Child you are totally right. The newness wears off and also the all- consuming "being on your guard" starts to wear thin.The subconscious mind starts to rear its head again, yuk and it wants nicotine. So its starts again, the all-consuming process kicks in again. Feels like a rollercoaster. From what others have said it does get better over time. Still waiting for that.
    Power on. You have all those days behind you. Well done!
  • Lia May 09, 2016 | 21:50
    One puff from being hooked again v weather the storm...
  • dronny07 May 10, 2016 | 0:51
    For me it is 58 days and though I still get at least 3 extreme cravings a day I manage to control them. For me 5 things help: a) my friends and colleagues - I told them all after I quit and explained that I would likely be short tempered/distracted/depressed. I find they have been very supportive b) I drink water every time I get an urge - training my body to get hooked onto something healthy (limited help but help nonetheless) c) Daily exercise - mainly tennis or gym. This makes me appreciate what I gain from quitting (run longer or faster and without so much breathlessness etc) d) the fear of having to quit again!!! e) Forums such as these.
  • Siobhain-Marie May 10, 2016 | 7:34
    Manchild I was doing a little research yesterday on what happens when you quit smoking and amongst a lot of statistics and the one that caught my attention was that it takes 9 months for withdrawal/cravings to stop!! Hope this helps 😊
  • manchild May 10, 2016 | 9:10
    Thanks for doing the research Siobhan-Marie

I want to be there at 9 months and have less cravings, so one day at a time I am going to aim for it.
    Its tough for me again today. I know the cravings only last for a few minutes. I remember reading somewhere that we could time the cravings. I'm really glad that we don't crave every single second of the day. I don't think I could take that!

I think that yesterday I had about 4-5 cravings, each craving lasting a few minutes.