Iwillbeatit
Western NSW
5/11/2015

44 days smoke free

Posted in Staying quit 14 Dec 2015

Hello fellow quitters and those about to start. No one will say this journey is easy and there have been times when the craving for that stinky stick is strong but I find I am thinking about it less and less and I am so pleased with myself and the benefits are worth it. When a craving hits I remind myself how good it feels to not smell of smoke and the money I have saved so far so close to Christmas. The cough I used to have each night is also gone. I agree with others that going for a walk clears the head. Good luck everyone and keep strong.

• ninjatubes, Nepean Blue Mountains December 14, 2015 | 16:40
    Good luck, i'm not far behind you at day 38. Honestly didn't expect to still be constantly thinking about smoking at this point but as you said its all worth it. It not an easy task so getting this far is something to be proud of.
  • Lia December 14, 2015 | 19:40
    Agree wholeheartedly with everything you have said. It takes a long time to be totally rid of the cravings but it is so good to say NO when they raise their ugly heads. The feeling of being healthier and able to breathe and not smelling like an ashtray is a bonus. Not having to run away from conversations with others, just to hide in some alley to have a nicotine fix, is such a good feeling. So much time not being wasted. Hang in there with the rest of us.
  • Iwillbeatit, Western NSW December 14, 2015 | 20:48
    Thanks Ninjatubes and Lia. I plan on hanging in there with the rest of you. I know this time (after numerous attempts to quit over the years) that there is no such thing as "just one puff" - I would be straight back on it and I do not want to get back on that hamster wheel!
  • nodrah December 15, 2015 | 21:14
    just remember this is not a 100 metre sprint , its a marathon...treat it as a game with the inner voice ...if you never give in to that inner voice you CANNOT lose
  • Fullofhope, South Eastern Sydney December 15, 2015 | 23:30
    Congratulations on a great achievement. I agree with Nodrah - this is a marathon and it takes a lot of stubborn determination to keep on track. May all the lessons you've taken on help you sail through Christmas (lol : as if anyone sails through Christmas!). Nonetheless you are in a great place to tackle the next few weeks.
    Well done.
  • jojie December 16, 2015 | 11:55
    Congratulations! Keep going..
  • Ranim I Can and I will December 23, 2015 | 0:57
    great, keep going
  • clever girl, Northern Sydney December 29, 2015 | 18:09
    Congratulations on your successful attempts.
    Keep up the good work. The more you try the further you will go. Life without cigarettes will be the biggest happiness & victory you will ever accomplish in your life.
  • Tanu December 31, 2015 | 15:51
    Congratulations....I have just joined today and plan to quit tomorrow! NEw year resolution...but i plan to keep it..!
  • Tanu December 31, 2015 | 15:51
  • MaryT January 01, 2016 | 18:51
    Hi everyone. My quit date is the 4th Jan but I seem to be in combat with my mind over this and I am alarmed by the 'anxiety' it is causing me. How does one get passed that 'need', 'urge' for a ciggie? I'm already doubting my ability to be successful and I haven't started yet! It needs to be done but how does one push through to beat it? I'm determined to do it now but that's easy to say when my give up date is a few days away - how will I be on the day??? Scary.