PhilippaLee
12/12/2013

Champix - Helping me quit for good

Posted in Getting started 12 Dec 2013

So I have taken my first champix tablet. I have been thinking about starting the prescription for over a year. In that time I have moved accross the world and started a whole new life with my partner. I have moved around australia and seen some amazing things.

My partner quit on the 1st of January 2013 and he is still a very proud non smoker. Which of course means that he has been on my case about quitting since he stopped. I did try when i first got here and managed to quit for 3 months using NRT. But i found that everyday all I could think about was when i would be able to smoke again. I think this was because I hadnt made the decision to quit for myself. My parnters whole family are non smokers and they were very supportive of me but as soon as we were away from the family i couldnt for the life of me see a reason why i shouldnt start smoking again. Which i did almost the day we packed up and left for Alice Springs.

I come from a family of heavy smokers and in my home country cigarettes are affordable and smokers are not ostrasized like they are here. And so when i went home to visit family my smoking habits got much much worse and i fell straight back into the smoking trap.

I have decided to try the champix because i think it will help me cope with the mental aspect of quitting. I have made several attempts at quitting and have lasted to the stages where the nicotine addiction is no longer the problem but that little monster sitting on my shoulder saying "just have a smoke... what harm could it do" is the driving force behind my failure to stay quit.

A member of our family was recently diagnosed with cancer (she is a non smoker and has never smoked in her life) she has finished treatment now and is well on her way to good health but it really makes you think that if a person with such a healthy active lifestyle can be struck down by cancer why am i putting myself in a situation where my chances increase so dramatically.

So like i said. Today i have taken my first champex tablet and have set my date for boxing day. ( i know this sounds silly quitting right in the middle of the festive season) My partner works out of country and i am home alone for most of the week. In the next 2 weeks he will be at home much more and we will be spending christmas with his family who are so supportive and even better do not smoke! My thinking is that i want to be around those people when i stop. It wont be for long but i want to know that those first few days i will have happy non smokers around me who will be totally supportive of my plan.

Wish me luck!!

• Aaron_L December 12, 2013 | 12:29
    Good Luck PhilippaLee!!!!
    I have also recently started champix myself, and it is working wonders so far. I am only a few weeks in but it is working well.

And again.... Good Luck. We can both do it :)

• PhilippaLee December 12, 2013 | 13:05
    yes we can :)
  • stoprightnow, Western NSW December 13, 2013 | 5:57
    good luck with your quit, you have to want to quit, well all the best.
  • Sanqueen December 13, 2013 | 12:34
    Good luck dear! I took my first champix last night, this is my second time round. The champix did work for me before. I quit for a year. A 30 year smoker. But I fell back into the trap and thought I'd have just one. I've been back at it for 6 months. I'm so angry with myself. But the champix does work! I couldn't believe I had quit!! I was thrilled. I know why I had that smoke and I know now to never do it again and deal with my stress better next time round. Good luck ! You'll do this! We'll all do this! And not let those tobacco companies get another dime at the expense of our health!
  • jada7799 December 15, 2013 | 18:18
    Good luck with your quit! It is going on my 6th week now and I feel stupid that I ever smoked in the first place. It just causes stress...doesnt help with it! If you are in the right mindset, you will quit with no problem ;) I always snacked on almonds or played games on my phone in the beginning to help keep busy!
  • William Power, Hunter New England December 16, 2013 | 15:49
    Hi Phillipa Lee. I'ts day 33 smoke free for me today. I don't think I could have achieved this without the Champix. As jada said it's good to have a distraction in moments of weakness. When this happened to me I was straight back on this site which inspired and motivated me to continue. I felt much stronger knowing others were out there wanting to be rid of the cigs just as much as me. It's always great to know your not alone. If I can get this far anyone can! Good luck and stay strong!
  • Deblam December 28, 2013 | 19:46
    Good luck with your journey I'm on day 9 still smoking only 10 a day having one now and not enjoying it at all
  • Deblam December 28, 2013 | 19:46