MickeyJ
Southern NSW
20/01/2012

What happenned in Vegas didn't stay in Vegas

Posted in Quit experiences 21 Nov 2013

1 year and 10 months of being a non-smoker. Then a work conference in Bris-Vegas. Too cocky, I thought I could play up with smoking and come home without any repurcussions. But what happened in Vegas didn't stay in Vegas. What followed was 4 weeks of smoking 20 a day and feeling every bit as addicted as I was 2 years ago. The hiding around corners, being ashamed of stinking like an ashtray around my wife and kids, being a slave to addiction.

Well, here I am on day 3 of re-quitting. I think I have nipped it in the bud just in time. Not having any major problems in giving up, probably because I know how to do it and what to expect.

But I have played with fire and got burned.

• stoprightnow, Western NSW November 21, 2013 | 16:06
    what happened?you have to remember you will always be a smoker only difference is you choose not to smoke there is no such thing as just one oh well now you are back to square one, well all the best.
  • A.F.U, Hunter New England November 21, 2013 | 19:43
    At least you started again so all the best this time
  • converse November 22, 2013 | 5:12
    Hey.... I remember you when I was starting. Thanks for the post it just goes to show there is no such thing as one more and that's it. Good on ya for starting again... that takes alot to face it again.... well done and keep posting here.
  • Nic succeed November 22, 2013 | 9:46
    How easy it can be to slip back into old habits. Stay strong, positive and quit!!
  • lindsey60 November 22, 2013 | 11:08
    Youve made a mistake but have come back from it and next time you think you can fool the demon smokes you will be stronger from the memory of this moment..I know because I have been there. Dont beat yourself up about it..life throws us curve balls every now and again..youve caught yours and are running with it..well done you and good luck :o)
  • William Power, Hunter New England November 23, 2013 | 10:03
    Mate, I know that terrible feeling of disappointment you must have had. But good on you for having the strength to give it up so quickly. I was off them for ten years and took them up again for five years. 10 days today smoke free! I wish I could have done the same as you! Stay strong and all the best.
  • William Power, Hunter New England November 23, 2013 | 10:09
    Oh, and your not back to square one. Yours was just a relapse. It's probably made you stronger and more determined than ever before. Again, well done!
  • Gerry1 November 23, 2013 | 18:27
    I often wondered how you were going Mickey. We both quit around the same time.
    Your message is a reminder to us all that we cannot have that "one"
    Great to see you are giving it another shot though. Stick with it mate, I know you will win this time.
  • lindsey60 November 24, 2013 | 11:51
    Stop right now...thats out of order !! were not all the same. Dont pressume to be entitled to tell someone off because they have not followed your road...we all have our own journey to make..but we will get there in the end !! and Mickey your doing ok youve made the right choice and good luck x

• PallMall, South Western Sydney December 13, 2013 | 1:21
    Hi Mickey - I haven't been on the site for a long time just come on tonight to see who is still around. Your positive attitude last year was great and I'm sorry you had a little stumble - but; you can't put the genie back in the bottle. So dust yourself off and have another crack at it - none of us will ever be non-smokers the best we can hope for is that we can keep off them. At least the money you saved for over a year must be incentive to go again
    (I've saved over $17,000 at pricing of two years ago).