BigDaddyB
Nepean Blue Mountains
Story
26/04/2021

The time is now

Posted in Reasons to quit 26 Apr 2021

My mother just passed away from emphysema. She was 67 and had a long battle with her sickness. Toward the end she couldn’t even stand up without having to rest for lack of oxygen to her brain. The pain she was in for many years absolutely broke me to see. I have 2 young daughters, 4 & 2 and honestly want to see them live a rich and full life of joy and happiness. I want to be able to cherish every moment I spend with my children so I have decided that smoking has no part in my life anymore. I’ve been a heavy smoker since I was 13 so it’s been a part of my personality, who I am, for a long time. I need to reinvent myself as the non smoker now. Wish me luck in my journey and I would also like to wish anyone who has decided to quit the best of luck and support through their journey.

• Gemma23 April 26, 2021 | 23:12
    Hi and welcome
    Best of luck on your journey
    Make sure to read stories here and gain confidence to stop smoking.
    You can do it for a better you
  • Red-67 April 27, 2021 | 4:02
    Hi, and Welcome :)
    You are right.. We LET it define us. We became a smoker. You will see a lot of talk about the nicotine addiction, but that's the small part. We are, or were, addicted to SMOKING. The routine / habit, and the nicotine. I believe that most active smokers would continue to smoke, even if you secretly removed the nicotine. I am almost certain that I would have.. If you let yourself accept the reality of the addiction, and see that you are just a slave to a cigarette. Accept the pure STUPIDITY of smoking. Then you can make that smoke something you simply do NOT WANT, and the quit can be easy. Sure, there will be physical withdrawal, but just 2 to 3 weeks, assuming you don't use any aids, and you can accept the discomfort just like you would a bad cold, or flu, and know it will pass. I smoked all my adult life, 45+ years, but once I admitted to myself just how stupid it was, I had to quit. Accept that,, SMOKING MAKES YOU STUPID,, That's how it works :)
    The only thing to FEAR, is continuing to smoke ! Set yourself FREE,, It's GREAT.
  • Red-67 April 27, 2021 | 4:09
    Oh, I did not wish you luck. There is no luck involved. It is taking control of your brain, back from the addiction. And I never call it a journey. We smoked for years, and it only takes a few days to quit. It really can be as easy as you make it :)
  • Happiness April 27, 2021 | 5:44
    I think I had it the easiest. I hope some will challenge that.

Red is right, luck has no part in this, just a desire for change . Read and learn.

Smoking did nothing for us,
    We were drugged and addicted to smoking, we did not choose to. smoke for the rest of our lives.
    Cravings are very subtle, just thoughts, let them go....they mean that the nicotine monster is starving and stuggling and you are gaining back control.
    Acknowledge just how much you ran your life around smoking. Not because you enjoyed it. The only thing you enjoyed was the end of a craving. A break can be taken with coffee.
    Stop making excuses to smoke and just decide to simply end it.
    We are stronger than nicotine.
    You can quit smoking. We are proof.
  • matik_one April 28, 2021 | 5:32
    Yes do it for your children, do it for yourself, you'll see the different, they will feel it..
  • Aniruddha April 29, 2021 | 0:46
    Wish you the best with your quit. You can do it!