MickeyJ
Southern NSW
20/01/2012

253 Days Today - Still a Tough Road

Posted in Staying quit 25 Sep 2012

Hi All,

253 days cold turkey quit today. Great to see some of my quit buddies still poping in here and doing well. I still think about having a smoke every now and then - had a dream 2 nights ago that I caved in. Tonight the kids are especially naughty. The triggers are still there for me. Today I walked past a spot at Manuka Oval where I had a smoke back in January, and that gave me a craving! This is STILL the hardest thing I have ever done. But I'm doing it every day and succeeding. Thankyou and congratulations to everyone who is doing this with me, whether you're at 1 year or 1 day quit. You ALL inspire me.

• Quitsmart September 26, 2012 | 17:22
    MJ, we know the cravings are going to haunt us forever and will never go away. I have moments too where I was close to caving in but between freedom and back to prison, I rather put up with the hardship. Tough but this is the only solution. Stay strong buddy, you are doing well.
  • Scottly, Hunter New England September 26, 2012 | 22:11
    Hi MJ: I see it does not get much easier over time - hang in there mate. You can do this!..
  • Scottly, Hunter New England September 26, 2012 | 22:12
    COngrats on the 253 days - awesome effort!
  • MickeyJ, Southern NSW September 27, 2012 | 19:17
    Scotty, don't get me wrong ... it DOES get easier over time. But it is never just easy. So far I haven't been able to think of myself as being risk free from succumbing to a weak moment. I have had to exercise willpower almost everyday of the last 255. The benefits of doing that are enormous and life-changing. I will NEVER smoke again.
  • Roseyk September 28, 2012 | 21:04
    Hi Mickey, so glad to read you are still doing well. I am about 6 weeks off the 1 year mark and still have days that I would love a smoke, but like you I will never smoke again. Would never want to go through all of this to quit again and start at day 1. Was nice to read a post from someone I remember from my quit journey. Don't get on here much anymore, but still like to jump on from time to time and read how everyone is going. Take care and have a great weekend:)
  • Gerry1 September 29, 2012 | 2:58
    Stop skiting Mickey.
    Oh alright , you can . Moreso when we reach that 365 day :)