Sadia
Story
18/06/2020

I choose to quit

Posted in Quit experiences 19 Jun 2020

Tomorrow is my quit day. My husband has been on champix when we decided to quit together and after 3 weeks now he's not smoking so I've decided I have to do something. Have people quit by cold turkey or NRT? Would love to hear more and get some support on my quit journey

• Sadia June 19, 2020 | 3:30
    I forgot to mention I also started it but then stopped since it made me sick
  • Happiness June 19, 2020 | 5:44
    Champix is a good choice because there is no nicotine in it. The champix makes the cigarette taste bad and thus the urge to light up less. It affects the sensors in the brain that give us that burst of "dopamine" and pleasure. That is why even those on patches are stuggling. They miss that accustomed "jolt" even though they are getting a steady supply of nicotine.
    Users of any form of nicotine have to break that part of the addiction cold turkey. The difference is the order in which you choose. Even your hubby, though smoke-free and nicotine free also needs to adjust to the psychological part of being a non-smoker. If he loves the fact that he is quit and not still thinking he would love to have one, he may remain smoke-free once off of champix, but I urge him to join this group , if even just to learn about nicotine , its affect on us past and present. When he realizes the truth about nicotine, then he is more apt to never fall back into the trap. (He need not participate, or maybe he already does, but that is my recommendation for him)

As for you, despite the Champix not being for you, you haven't given up. That goes a long way. Positive thinking and a tenacity to succeed. You didn't use it as an excuse to quit quitting. I know you will succeed which ever way you choose. Quitting is the main thing at first, then accepting it as your new way of life and Loving the freedom, extra money and better health benefits. Understanding you and nicotine makes it all easier. Joining a group lets you know you are not alone and very understood. Forums give insight, hope , understanding and even friendships. Forums are a reminder of why you quit and why you want to stay that way.
    Anyone can quit smoking. Think Positive. Embrace the whole idea. It is very much worth it. And you may take a wrong turn (even in the future) but you will NEVER regret quitting smoking.
  • Happiness June 19, 2020 | 5:47
    In short, It is a mind game overall.
  • Sadia June 19, 2020 | 16:46
    Thank you so much for your encouraging words. Did you quit cold turkey? How was your experience?
  • Red-67 June 20, 2020 | 4:15
    Hi, Sadia, and welcome :)
    Well, first, congrats on making the decision to quit. Many of us here, have quit, cold turkey, and much easier than expected. I believe, it is just the fear of a little discomfort that leads people to NRTs or drugs. Cold turkey is the fastest, and most successful quit. Fewer people that quit cold turkey, ever return to smoking. Sure, there will be some discomfort, but only for a short time. I don't even like to call it a journey. What's a few weeks compared to years of smoking ? Make up your mind, that you simply do not WANT to smoke any more. If you make a smoke something you do NOT WANT, and not something you can't have, it can be fairly easy. Like Happiness said, it really is a mind game, and it can be as easy as you make it. I was a blind, stupid, smoker for 45+ years, and only tried to quit once. Yes, a little miserable for 3 weeks, but then, into week 4, I knew I was free, and would never want another one. That was well over 3 years ago, and you CAN do it too :) You can deal with the withdrawal, and not make it a craving. You will not crave something you don't want. Remember,, It's all in your mind.. :)
  • Happiness June 20, 2020 | 7:28
    My story is here for all to read. Just click on my name and see my first postings. Yes I quit cold turkey very easily with my husband smoking right beside me. He wanted to read Allan Carr before he quit two weeks later. My daughter also quit. We are all quit over a year now. I believe she also read the link i sent. It is something I positively endorse although iCanQuit have asked me to refrain from posting a link to free copywrited material. A few dollars and understanding of nicotine will help you to think of smoking in a different light. Easy. It is a mind game.
  • Sadia June 24, 2020 | 23:58
    I failed at my first quit attempt and have set another quit date for tomorrow. Not sure if I'll be doing this cold turkey or with gums I'm still confused. Some positive words are most welcome to help me.
  • Sadia June 25, 2020 | 0:00
  • AtlasPark June 27, 2020 | 16:59
    The fact that you’re willing to try and give up is a very important start 😀. As for the options, cold turkey or NRT, it’s really going to come down to what works best for you.

NRT is much much better then smoking and can be an easier way to transition into a smoke free life. I have used every NRT product on the market and found a combination of nicotine gum and a patch worked really well, but everyone is different.

Going cold turkey also works well, but the withdrawals may be a little too much to go from smoking a lot to suddenly nothing. Your will power will need to be strong to go this route.