butchmillr
Mid North Coast
26/01/2020

I was going well...

Posted in Getting started 14 Mar 2020

I was doing so well friends.

Over a week! I was glad, and I was feeling those benefits! I woke early, no tiredness or dry mouth. I felt good!

Wednesday came, a friend asked me to the pub. I took the chance because I haven't seen any friends or spoken to anyone in months. I smoked, I must've had 10 smokes. Probably 10 beers too. I was ruined the next day, I still am. But I didn't keep smoking. That was it! That one night. Until tonight, I had two today. That's it. I was feeling very down, extremely low. I just felt like I needed that old friend. I know smoking isn't a friend, not doing me any favours, but you know what I mean. I just felt like I needed something.

I'm nearly 25. I want to quit. I've read the Alan Carr book 3 times now, for me it never worked, but I keep rereading it just in case.

I asked the doctor for advice, he just said to come here, as do many doctors I've ever seen. I know it's safe here, you all help me so much. I should've come here before I had those smokes, I know.

I want to quit drinking, and smoking. I hate both of them. They're destroying me.

I think, I need more help than I thought I did.

I really have thought about it, I do want to quit. If you have any suggestions? Any tips? I think I need the lot.

Thanks everyone, you quitters are my inspiration.

• Red-67 March 15, 2020 | 0:27
    That's a shame. You had a week, for most, the hardest days. But, you don't have to let it stop you. Like many, if not most, you want to quit, but in your mind, you still want a smoke. You are still thinking like a smoker. Try to plant the seed, in your mind, that you simply do NOT WANT one. It may sound simple, but it does make a difference. You can have your beer, and conversation, without a smoke, and not even miss it.. Get back on the horse. You CAN do this. What made me quit, was just realizing how stupid I had to be, to remain a smoker ..
  • Happiness March 15, 2020 | 0:28
    How wise you are at such a young age!How nice it is to see the young ones salvaging their lives and having freedom from nicotine. There are many good videos on line like Chris Stoyles and Nasia Davos that might be of help to you. Something will resonate with you and give you that insight or desire you need. If at first you don't succeed try, try again. Your efforts will be rewarded. Stick with us, your new friends and find the knowledge to empower you.
  • Smokefreestay March 15, 2020 | 2:29
    It happens to everyone! I am 23 and Im still afraid Im going to relapse after one month of not smoking...you are not alone and we are here to support you!!! Everyday is a new chance to quit!
  • Robn March 15, 2020 | 10:30
    Hi, don’t beat yourself up....take the positives out of your week of being smoke free and use them to motivate yourself.
    You were feeling great, you had more energy and I bet you had more money too. That can be the rest of your life...feeling like that everyday and it gets even better as time goes by. Make the decision not to just stop smoking....but that you never ever want to smoke again and start your journey again. You don’t have to give up anything...what you are doing is making choices to better yourself and your life. Have a beer with your mates, do all the things you normally do. Once you make your mind up that you never want to smoke again....there is no temptation at all. Stay strong and focused
  • Robn March 15, 2020 | 10:31
  • softly40, Mid North Coast March 15, 2020 | 10:33
    Welcome again butchmllr. It is very brave to come when you feel so down, it has happened to me in the past, not for drinking but for smoking, its the situation you find yourself in when there are smokers around you and they happen to be your friends too.

Let me tell you now, you are not doing yourself any favours counting the cigarette as your friend. I would suggest looking (really looking) at a video which helped me in the process its called "How to grow to be a happy non smoker presented by NASIA DAVOS from TEDxUniversitofPiraeus" .....its on U tube... You might find that you have a strong need for pleasure, where the Reward Method is greater than you expected. You might also find where you are lacking emotionally such as your Self Belief.

Whatever you find that is useful to you, you must pick yourself up and give yourself rewards along the way for each and every obstacle that you will overcome. I overcame quite a few so if I can do it you can too. You are young enough to learn, so learn from others who made the same mistake and stay close to the forum until you are ready to really give it another go.