Robn
24/07/2017

Temptations are never far away

Posted in Quit experiences 04 Nov 2019

Hi All,

I am at 544 days quit now after 48 years of being a slave to it. I wanted to share an experience that I had a few days ago.....I was out with friends....none of them smoke...all of a sudden I felt the greatest urge to have a smoke that I have experienced so far. It came out of no where....I thought I was over ever craving again. That craving stayed with me for the rest of the day.

Maybe all the bad stars had aligned...lol. Of course I did not light up but it was a very close call. Had someone offered me one I don’t know if I would have accepted or not. Thankfully no one around me smoked so that did not happen.

So I guess my point is never think that you could not be tempted back. Stay strong and focused. It really did rattle me as I definitely would never wish to go back to that life.

Stay alert...no matter how long you have been quit.....

• Dolly67 November 04, 2019 | 14:00
    Congratulations Robn on 544 days quit and thank you for your stories.
    My husband gave up for 4 years about 15 years ago but unfortunately had one and went back to the cigarettes.
    He successfully gave up 12 months ago at the age of 61.
    I’m at 2 months and go with the NOPE mantra.
  • Robn November 04, 2019 | 18:06
    Hi Dolly, you are both doing really well. I practice the nope mantra also. Haven’t had to use very much for the past few months but the other day wasn certainly a wake up call to never let that guard down. Funny thing is I could not think of anything worse than smoking again..lol
    Oh well we are all human after all.... stay strong and focused x
  • FreshAirOK, Hunter New England November 04, 2019 | 18:09
    Hi and thankyou for being so thoughtful in warning us about your temptation. I'm so glad you were strong and didn't give in. 544 days is a huge accomplishment and not something to throw away. You described the situation so well that I could feel your crave I hope it was just a bump that you worked through and its smooth sailing from here on in. Congratulations on 544 and counting!
  • Robn November 04, 2019 | 20:03
    Thank you FreshAirOk, yes it was just a bump but it has reminded me that no matter how far we have come, that temptation can still arise.
    Oh don’t feel that crave.....it was awful...lol. You are doing really well also and should be very proud of yourself. I follow the stories and feel so much happiness for all the people trying so hard to change their lives for the better. It is so worth it and there is a much better life out there without smoking.
    Stay strong and focused x
  • Safe2017 November 04, 2019 | 20:38
    Robn, Congrats on 544 days and even more so on not giving into temptation. One always has to be vigilant cause you never know when temptation will blindside you. I had succumbed to smoking twice before but no more. NOPE. Stay strong and vigilant. Cheers.
  • Happiness November 05, 2019 | 3:53
    So glad that you got through that unexpected crave unscathed. Perhaps this site helped make you feel accountable . Those who manage to quit the vile addiction do become mentors to others and do so much good. If all who quit helped another, eventually we might all become non-smokers.

Congratulations on your 544 days of divine freedom. Victory is yours and all you have to do is just never take one more puff. Visit and contribute as a reminder from whence you came. Your insightfulness and caring shine through in your posts. I wish we saw more of them. Good one next time though!
  • Robn November 05, 2019 | 8:13
    Than you Safe2017, I will remain vigilant as I really did not think I would ever crave again...just goes to show us not to be over confident..lol. I do practice Nope and will continue to do so. You are doing an amazing job on your journey.
    Well worth the early struggles, to be free from that slavery. Cheers to you and stay strong and focused x
  • Robn November 05, 2019 | 8:16
    Thank you Happiness.......I used to think victory was mine but I now know temptation can raise itself at anytime.
    I will never take it for granted again. I hope that by telling this story, everyone on this site can see that no matter how long you have been quit....a slip can be just around the corner. Never give in x
  • Red-67 November 05, 2019 | 10:28
    Hey you :) Long time no see..
    I must admit, that is surprising, but you held your ground..
    There was one good thing about smoking, I have to admit to missing.
    We had a ready made excuse to duck out from the crowd, or the noise of any situation, for a few min. of peace. :) But, I don't miss it enough to ever want another one.. LOL
    Hey,, you did fine. I have heard some, been quit for years, say they still wanted one.
  • Robn November 05, 2019 | 13:46
    Hey Red, how are you? I just go outside and take five minutes to myself without the smoke...works for me...lol
    Yes I have a brother in law that has been quit for over 20 years and he says every now and then he still feels like having one but the crave is rare and is gone quickly. It did surprise me that this crave lasted quite a few hours....but I would never light up now....life is too good.
    Take care of yourself and pop in again. Miss you on here x
  • Nuts November 05, 2019 | 22:46
    Hi Robyn. 545 days today. Well done. That is fabulous. Thanks for warning us about future cravings. Are you sure it was a craving, or just a memory of past events. I went to a Melbourne Cup lunch today, and there was a lot of smokers there. Last year i joined them outside for a smoke. This year i didnt, but the memory was there. I will never smoke again and i am sure that you wont, but these memories will pop up now and then . We just have to laugh and move on. I am really proud of you. Take care and enjoy being smoke free 😚👍
  • Robn November 06, 2019 | 12:25
    Thank you Nuts, for your kind comment. Yes I guess it could have been a memory thing. But all good, I will never forget now...lol. You are doing an awesome job on your journey too....may we all stay strong and focused on the path ahead.
    Mostly I don’t even think about smoking anymore.....such a better life with out them. Mind you at today’s prices I don’t know how any one can afford it. Take care x