DAB57
7/09/2018

One Year Quit Today!

Posted in Quit experiences 22 Jun 2019

Well my friends and fellow quitters. Today I hit the milestone of being quit for one year. Needless to say I am overjoyed that I have made it. When i first quit and joined this forum, I have to say that I was so envious of those members who were in their months, year or years quit. Today I can say that I have battled the war and come out the other end. I made myself hate the disgusting things a few days before I quit, by really letting my brain absorb the offensive smell and taste and now today when I see people smoking even on TV, I get the horrible taste in my mouth again. So my dear friends today is my day of achieving this wonderful 1st year anniversary quit goal. Many of you on here who are in the early to mid milestones. Just remember your One Year Quit day, is just around the corner. Good luck to all of you and a special hello to @Geo @ Happiness @Red-67 @Nuts @FreshAirOK @HolyCow @ PuffNoMore @jenno211058 @ Rafiki.......I MADE IT, YEAH!

• Safe2017 June 22, 2019 | 9:35
    Awesome accomplishment. Congrats
  • FreshAirOK, Hunter New England June 22, 2019 | 9:39
    Go you good thing!!! I've got your back as I'm only 8 weeks today and am so thrilled for your one year. I'll crank up the band!
  • Nuts June 22, 2019 | 9:39
    Yay Dab 57. Thats fantastic. Cant wait to get there myself. It must be a great feeling. Buy yourself something special 👍🤗
  • DAB57 June 22, 2019 | 9:42
    Thank you @safe2017, @Nuts, @FreshAirOK, I have to say I feel great. I am going to celebrate by indulging in a delicious cheese cake.
  • Robn June 22, 2019 | 10:51
    Well done Dab57, an awesome achievement......it all starts with one day and is not as hard as our mind would have us believe. So worth it to be free of the slavery. Hope you really enjoy that cheesecake
  • DAB57 June 22, 2019 | 11:14
    Thanks Robn. I found my transition from smoker to non-smoker rather mild even though i had smoked for 3/4 of my life. I really believe that by forcing myself to hate them during my last few smokes, and listening to guided stop smoking meditations were my successful tools in achieving my goal cold turkey and with few issues. I am so happy to be free from the addiction. I am also free from being frowned upon by doctors etc.
    I had the cake and it was very delicious. As it was a reward, I don't have the guilty pangs.
  • Happiness June 22, 2019 | 13:48
    I am honored to celebrate this very special milestone and the anniversary of the most powerful thing that you have or could do for yourself. I am sure that you knew in your heart that you were a happy, accepting non-smoker right back since the first post i could find from you at 2 1'2 months. The similarities in our journey is uncanny. I too came to hate the cigarette, the smell and rolled the smoke in my mouth and tasted the poisons in it. Like you my copd was undetected by my doctor, and no concern when i told him of it. Life is great without the slavery.

Give that angel on your shoulder and big high 5 from me . I loved reading your stories of such determination and wisdom and I hope that others will believe that they too can be celebrating these wonderful milestones before they know it. It is so worth it and we know that it can be done.

Congratulations again Dabs. May your angel always be with you.
  • Lia June 22, 2019 | 18:12
    HI DAB57. Enjoy your milestone. Eat and celebrate however you like. Give yourself a lengthy time to really understand what you have achieved. If you happen to indulge too much and end up like I did, 18 kgs overweight, then remind yourself that if you could beat the NicoDeamon you can surely make a decision to limit the type of calories consumed. Do enjoy those cheesecakes, etc. No hurry. Reward yourself by all means. I eventually decided to "avoid 50 shades of beige, eat colour and live lighter." Only took a year to fix the problem... Enjoy your new found freedom, reward yourself.
  • DAB57 June 22, 2019 | 20:18
    Thank you both so much Happiness and Lia. I am humbled by the wonderful support and friendships on this great forum. Lia, I ate like nobodies business today and enjoyed it whole heartedly. I have put on about 7 kilos since I stopped the devil in its tracks. But yes you are right I can fight and defeat "NocoDemon" so I can certainly lose these few extra kilos. Thank you Happiness, you have walked beside me for a while now and I appreciate your support and friendship. Many thanks to both of you again. Til next we speak, have a wonderful weekend and may the universe provide you with love and light.
  • DAB57 June 22, 2019 | 20:19
  • Pearly19 June 23, 2019 | 22:04
    Congrats on 1 year. i cant wait to get to where you are at
  • Welsh Des June 23, 2019 | 23:01
    Congratulations on a year to remember.you must feel very happy with yourself,1 year is a fine achievement
    Your story will be a good example to someone starting on their own journey
  • DAB57 June 24, 2019 | 11:38
    Thank you Pearly19. You will be where I am in no time. Good luck on your journey. Stay strong and true to yourself.
  • DAB57 June 24, 2019 | 11:40
    Many thanks Welsh Des. I have to admit I am very happy and proud of myself it is a great achievement and one that just reinforces the power we have within ourselves to beat what we think is unbeatable.
  • Shamrock July 19, 2019 | 19:49
    congrats !
  • Ruka August 25, 2019 | 2:04
    That's great to hear.
  • DAB57 August 25, 2019 | 17:25
    Thank you Ruka and Shamrock. I have now just passed my 14th month and still going strong. No desire to smoke again, in fact the opposite. I find it easier now not smoke than to smoke, if that makes any sense. I know what i am trying to say but not sure if the wording is correct. I just know that the idea of smoking does not appeal to me at all. When I see smokers now I get a terrible taste in my mouth. That is my memory and it is not pleasant.
  • bell dev October 11, 2019 | 0:07
    I have to give up smoking even though I don't really want too, did u feel that way before actually giving up..... if so do u have any advice. I have never thought or wanted to give up smoking before but I have advance gum disease I am looking at losing all my teeth so to try to keep my teeth even just for a yr I have to give up smoking :(
  • DAB57 October 11, 2019 | 0:51
    Hi bell dev
    I desperatley wanted to give up and made myself really hate the things over a short period of time. My first strategy was to continuously tell myself that i hated them, then when my day a day before I stopped and on the last day of my quit, I took my last couple of cigs and slowly drew in deeply on the smoke and closed my eyes while really getting my brain to identify the disgusting taste, in my mouth, on my gums in my throat on my tongue and the smell in my nose. I did this with all of my last ciggs and it worked. In between the lit smokes, I would hold unlit smokes in my mouth and drew on them as if they were lit and again let my brain take in the smell and the horrible taste. This worked for me and only took two days. I also made a call to quit line on my last day and the person I spoke with was very encouraging and helpful. I stopped cold turkey from that point and only suffered from uncomfortable withdrawals for a couple of weeks. The withdrawals mainly consisted of random crying and a huge appetite. Also dreaming of smoking but no desire to light up. Today I am, 15 months, 2 weeks and 5 days quit. I am free from the chains of smoking and I really can't stand the smell of them. In fact if I smell them it makes me nauseous.

You have to turn your thinking around to, I don't want to smoke they are killing me and they are disgusting. I wish you luck, but I know you can do it once you tell yourself you can do it. Just think of how free you will be when you stop. You will have a battle of withdrawal to contend with for a little while, people experience their own various discomforts some worse than others, but put it into the context of the rest of your life, and you realise that the duration of withdrawal is very short in in comparison. All the best my friend. Please keep me informed of your progress.
  • penelopejane November 27, 2019 | 15:42
    Part of me didn't want to quit, but I don't regret stopping. It isn't easy at the moment because I need to keep losing weight. Doing without too many things can become dreary. My next goal is my one year achievement. Congratulations. My challenge was insomnia. I have done very well. Brocken sleep for months was not going to deter me from quitting. My sleep hygiene has improved a lot. I was determined not to smoke over lack of sleep. Smoking will never be the correct answer to life's hurdles. I quit eight months ago.