MaryF
Story
14/05/2019

Holding on smoke free

Posted in Reasons to quit 12 Jun 2019

Being a 10 a day smoker for 40 years, I'm really proud of myself for holding on for 26 days now. As we all know it is a struggle especially smoking for that long. But holding on with patches of course. What has motivated me... family and money. Family... want to be around if grandkids come along. Money... saved $420 so far (that's crazy). Keep going guys and we'll get through this.

And thanks for everyone's story and input, it truly helps.

• Happiness June 12, 2019 | 11:59
    Hi MaryF.Forums are great for learning about the addiction and how others cope with cravings and managing the journey. We are glad that experiences shared have been of help.
    No one here jusdges you, only encourages and supports, but I think that by being active within the community serves to hold you even more accountable and bolsters your determination to succeed. Aside from that benefit, others also enjoy and learn from your sharing as well. We love it when we gain new members and can share in their joy of success.
  • MaryF June 12, 2019 | 12:49
    Thanks!! Happiness.
  • Robn June 12, 2019 | 20:32
    Well done MaryF, you maybhave smoked for 40 years, (48 for me), but the years you have now started adding to the other end of your life are precious.
    Now we make the time and the effort to be good to ourselves. Keep going Mary.....awesome job.
  • Broncor, Mid North Coast June 12, 2019 | 22:09
    That is a huge accomplishment Maryf, don’t underestimate how well you are doing, it can be done, you will do this just believe and understand the nicotine addiction, we are wishing you all the best
  • MaryF June 13, 2019 | 8:28
    Thanks guys for your support. Reading your comments really encourages me to hold on. Especially with having cravings this morning. Was so tempted to stop at the supermarket.... but didn't :)
  • Nuts June 13, 2019 | 17:47
    Hi MaryF and welcome . 26 days is fantastic. Dont stop at that supermarket. Grandchildren are great ( I have 10) and yes you do want to be here for them. I quit with patches and found it easy because i was really determined. I joined these wonderful people on this forum on day 6 of my quit. I was struggling a bit. I was warmly welcomed and encouraged. It made me more determined, because i didnt want to let them down. Its been over 5 months now and i wont go back. You can do it too. There is always someone here for you
    In a little while you will be giving advice to another new member. I believe in you. Believe in yourself👍🤗
  • MaryF June 14, 2019 | 10:17
    Hi Nuts and everyone thanks so much for the words of encouragement.. I am still struggling a little. It is the routine we have to change... after dinner mainly but will keep riding the wave and will get there. And another incentive is... I'm going to be a grandma for the first time!!! so excited
  • Happiness June 14, 2019 | 14:45
    So many positive changes in your life MaryF. Congratulations on your expanding family.
    While changing routine as to fill the void the main change to make on this journey is a changing of the mind or retraining of the mind so that we can let go of our dependency on cigarettes. Understanding that they have actually done nothing for us helps to achieve this and free you from its grasp.

Knowledge is power. You can be free.
  • MaryF June 14, 2019 | 14:50
    Thanks! Happiness :)
  • Nuts June 14, 2019 | 16:03
    With the money you save from not smoking, you will be able to buy a great baby present when your new grandbaby arrives. Stay strong
  • MaryF June 17, 2019 | 9:10
    love it! thanks!! Nuts and that's for sure