MickeyJ
Southern NSW
20/01/2012

Making it Impossible to Fail

Posted in Hints and tips 06 Jun 2012

I read an article today which I think accurately sums up the difference between those who succeed and those who fail in any situation, including this quit journey. People who succeed at any difficult task resolve in themselves that they will not fail. Others give themselves "PERMISSION TO FAIL". This permission is granted through statements or beliefs such as "I'll give it my best try", or I'll do my best. These sorts of statements leave us with get of jail free cards, self justifying our failures, and setting us up from the get go to actually fail.

So to make it impossible to fail, set a realistic, challenging and inspiring goal. Quitting smoking forever from now is realistic, because many people have done it.We all know it's challenging, but is it inspiring? Is it motivating? That's where our reasons to quit and the benefits we want to see should be attached. "I'm going to quit smoking forever from now and be financially free, live to see my children have children etc, completes the picture. When the goal is framed as inspiring or motivational it is much easier to deny ourselves permission to fail and to find that inner strength and resolve to succeed. In you mind, you must give no quarter to the possibility of failure.

END OF RAMBLING.

• amyleelemon, Western Sydney June 06, 2012 | 21:12
    that is sooo true ... thats why it has taken me so long and so many times to quit
  • Quit4Good, Western Sydney June 06, 2012 | 22:38
    I agree... I no longer say that I given up smoking, I now refer to myself as a non-smoker!!
  • cheaney, Central Coast June 07, 2012 | 13:47
    ....I really like your posts....I reckon a key word in the phrase, I am trying to quit smoking is the "TRY". part...hey mate, you either do something or you try to do it...its one or the other and never both...saying I will try or I am trying is already a permission to fail...so the real phrase is I HAVE QUIT SMOKING!...this is day 30 for me and i am absofriggenlutly positive that i will never light up another smoke again...
  • NowaNonSmoker!, Western Sydney June 07, 2012 | 23:47
    You're bang on again Mickey. I am never smoking again and that's all there is to it.
  • rainbow4006 June 08, 2012 | 6:35
    im with you mickey, i just KNEW from day 1 i would never smoke again (i have shocked many friends and family, now 57 days) this was no half hearted attempt, i WAS not going to smoke again, and knew it would initially be tough, and it was probably tougher than i even knew, having never in 40 years attempted it before, i am so proud of myself, and am feeling so good (despite some very off days!) it really is a mindset
  • kdv, Northern NSW June 13, 2012 | 19:46
    Great post MickeyJ! You're an inspiration, do you have a link to that article, it sounds like something I need to read right now!