Whitebread75
11/08/2017

You can do it

Posted in Staying quit 22 Jun 2018

Hello. Today is 9 months without a cigarette or alcohol . I have been a life long smoker since 14 years old. I em now 44. I also loved drinking beer. Nothing was better than a 12 pack of Budweiser and a few packs of Marlboro lights hanging out with classic rock on the radio. That changed when I got tired of not being able to walk up one flight of stairs with out being short of breath, and most importantly was the thought of not being alive for my 10 year old daughter to see her graduate, walk her down the aisle, . If a guy like me can do it anybody can. I was a drunk and a chain smoker. I had to quit both at the same time. The first week was the worst so far. Be stronger than the urge. Change people places and things.

• Robn June 22, 2018 | 15:21
    Hi whitebread75,
    Wow you really have changed people, places and things. Congrats to you and I am sure the rewards are worth all your battles to get where you are today. Unfortunately we associate having a drink and a cigarette with having a good time and we think without those things life will be boring. It is actually better and we are living in the moment and enjoying it all.
    Well done again to you, as my dear old dad used to say, nothing worthwhile is ever easy.
  • Whitebread75 June 22, 2018 | 15:38
    Thank you robin. I wish you all the strength not to light up again . It is a daily battle. God bless.
  • Webbquit June 24, 2018 | 14:02
    Yes walking up flights of stairs used to be a bit of a struggle for me too but since quitting and ecersising more over the past 25 days my lungs have regained their strength 9 months is fantastic i wish i were at that point. From not smoking though it seems to make me more tired easily i haven't quite got over that but i've moved up to the step 2 patches so my need for nicotine is starting to reduce. To quit both alcohol and cigarettes that shows real strength as I haven't been able to stop using both. My mum is proud of me though for toughing it out. I actually last quit attempt went 2 years without smoking so it is possible if you set your mind to it. Keep up the good work cause it's not easy giving up both.
  • Missjudy July 16, 2018 | 6:54
    Need to quit for my health. Lung function isn't real good. Have patches and gum to use Just need tons of willpower to become a non smoker I have two daughters and a granddaughter for my motivation
  • Heidster7, Hunter New England July 21, 2018 | 16:10
    Thank you! I'm determined for exactly the same reasons as your story mentions.. Have tried quitting and succeeded through eriods of my life (only shorthly or when pregnant).. always seem to start again after 2-7 months.. someone once bet me I couldn't quit for a year - I had 7 cigerets that whole year, but he still let me win it for my honesty:-) Today is my birthday 45 years young.. I hate that I smoked for such a long time and am determined .. blabbering having a massive craving lol day 3 but glad I found this site and your story brought me right back to my motivation and reasons for living free from now on :-)
  • Whitebread75 July 23, 2018 | 1:26
    10 months with out a smoke. I went to my first bbq where there was booze and smokes around.the smell of the ciggerettes filled the yard. I was polite and kept moving, taking walks outside. Eventually I left and went home to play in my yard with my 10 year old daughter . Nothing is more important than not smoking or drinking . Screw everybody . These people won’t care when I’m dying of cancer in the bed.