Ted67
Mid North Coast
28/03/2018

I woke this morning to my 69th day of quitting.

Posted in Staying quit 12 Jun 2018

There really is no magic bullet to quitting smoking that I have found. The problem for me is not the nicotine withdrawal - that was over pretty quickly, but the "habit" itself is a constant wolf at my door. It became very clear to me during a day of high stress when I told my husband I HAD to have a cigarette. I was a real mess. He did get me some cigs - but the amazing thing was, it didn't make things any better or any worse. It was just a cigarette "action" from a half century of smoking. I didn't beat myself up about it, although I did tell myself that I was being weak. Admittedly I am going through a huge amount of change all at once. I gave up sugar and carbohydrates at the same time in order to lose weight. So I have put myself into a hugely stressful situation. I have lost 9 kilos in 9 weeks though, which I am certainly proud of. I did rather set the bar a bit high for myself, but here I am, 69 days smoke free (bar one ciggy) and 9 kilos lighter. I have 38 kilos to reach my goal. There is no getting away from the fact that it is a struggle to change long established habits, so I am still only taking one day at a time and living through that. I do hope everyone is coping with the process and I wish you all good luck on this journey we are all on together

• Dolly66 June 12, 2018 | 10:51
    Hi Ted67,
    WOW you are doing so well.
    I’ve been thinking of you and wondering how you were going.
    I’m so proud of you,and lost weight at the same time.
    Unfortunately I have have put weight on but happy that I am 68 days smoke free.
    And more money in the pocket.
    Glad to be on my journey with you and all the lovely people on here.
    Dolly66
  • AndyW June 13, 2018 | 3:25
    The fact you are working on weight loss while quitting is very inspiring, It also sounds very hard. Keep up the great work!
  • Red-67 June 13, 2018 | 3:30
    I agree that the habit is the worst part.. Your body has been free of nicotine for some time now, but you are still thinking like a smoker.. If you can find a way to make that smoke something you really hate, and never want again it will help. But, hey, if you can do all this at the same time, no doubt, you have it under control, and will soon be really free..
    That crazy, got to have one slip, is the reason I recommend an E-cig disposable. It can give you a quick fix, without having to open a pack.. Too often smokers are not able to stop after just one, or two, especially, since there is an open pack now.. :) Treated as an NRT, a tool, they can help someone quit, fairly painlessly.. You got this, I have faith in you :) I changed only the smoking, and that was enough to do at one time.. LOL
  • Ted67, Mid North Coast June 13, 2018 | 13:47
    Hi everyone, thank you for all the praise. I don't deserve it but it's nice to read. I don't know how to overcome the "habitual" ingrained triggers of smoking so if anyone has any ideas, please give me a shout. Somehow it's different from eating junk food, because that is a sort of conscious decision, but the thought of having a cigarette is triggered subconsciously, like Pavlov's dog salivating at the sound of a bell!!! This little community we all belong to is SO comforting. Thanks to everyone for just being there.
  • Ted67, Mid North Coast June 13, 2018 | 13:52
    Dolly, don't worry about putting on weight just now. Wait till you are feeling confident in not smoking before you change your diet. I would recommend though that you just cut out one thing that is fattening at a time rather than go on a "diet" as such. For instance, if you make a sandwich, instead of using two slices of bread, use one and cut it in half. Alternatively, if you have two sugars in your coffee, cut down to one and a half, then one, then a half. There is no time limit on these changes, so be gentle on yourself. You are doing so well.
  • Ted67, Mid North Coast June 13, 2018 | 14:00
    AndyW, yes, at first it was hard, but now that I have no sugar in my life, and almost no carbs, it has sort of become "ok". It's this "one day at a time" thing I think that helps me. I am not depriving myself in real terms, just substituting fattening stuff for protein and vegetables and a bit of fruit, nuts and plain Greek yogurt. Once, I did have a chocolate biscuit and it was yummy, as usual, but I called it a treat in my mind - not part of my everyday life, like it used to be. My husband buys heaps of junk which I do ignore these days. How are you going?
  • Red-67 June 14, 2018 | 4:35
    Hey celery is good.. It gives you something to hold, and chomp on, and you can eat all you want, and loose weight :)
    Ted, I understand about the "habitual ingrained triggers". For me, it was best to face them head on, from the beginning. The fact that I made that smoke something I really did NOT WANT, made it fairly easy. My coffee, or bourbon, felt strange only a couple times, without the smoke. There is no craving, or trigger, for something you don't WANT. You have to plant that deep, in your mind, not just words. Worked for me, a 45 year smoker, free in 4 weeks, well over a year ago now. :) You CAN do it too :)
  • Ted67, Mid North Coast June 14, 2018 | 17:45
    Hey Red, your message just drips of common sense and I thank you for it. And you are right - I have to take the habit by the shoulders and really shake it out of my system. The celery thing I am already doing (growing bunny ears in the process though). I have to ingrain the "NOT WANT" attitude and am doing that from this moment on. Again thanks Red.
  • Red-67 June 15, 2018 | 4:38
    LOOL,,, growing bunny ears.. You will make it.. You got this :)