Mrs mac
Northern NSW
9/04/2018

Need to be able to breathe!

Posted in Reasons to quit 18 Apr 2018

I was so frightened by a recent experience of being unable to get my breath when I had a cold that went t my chest, that I freaked out about smoking. I now tell myself it’s better to be able to breathe, than to smoke. I keep my mind on the anxiety that came with not being able to breathe, and fear that this was the best lung function I would have for the rest of my life. Big wake-up call, and I have to keep it in my mind.

• weewillem April 18, 2018 | 22:55
    You can do it Mrs Mac. Better to put in the hard yards now, rather than when it is too late. Reading Alan Carrs Easy Way made it eadier for me - I honestly don't WANT to smoke. Find something more productive to do.
  • Mrs mac, Northern NSW April 19, 2018 | 5:43
    Thanks for your support. I just feel so sad. Want to cry all the time! Day 16 wake up crying....i get up and get put for an early morning walk, and it feels good to be able to breathe, but it’s the emotional sense of loss that’s getting me down.

• Pegster April 21, 2018 | 0:51
    That is a scary experience! One none of us want but are all afraid of. The best news is that you have stopped and perhaps God gave a warning, a little push, but has given you the strength to overcome. Your lung function will get better and better.
  • Mrs mac, Northern NSW April 21, 2018 | 5:45
    I’ve found acupuncture very helpful. The acupunturist has placed little needle things in my outer ear that I can press when I feel a craving. Seems to be working. Helps me to relax, and stop wanting a cigarette. I’m feeling more confident now that I have something that I can do at those difficult times. Also, deep breathing whenever I’m really wanting to smoke.....it reminds me that if I smoke, I can’t do deep breathing at all!
  • Red-67 April 23, 2018 | 2:17
    Hey, whatever works for you, just do it..
    I will tell you, a friend of mine, long time smoker, woke up in the ER, shortly after his last smoke.. Sudden onset, severe, COPD.. So, it is best to quit, while it is your choice, not when it is quit or die.. Much of the damage to our lungs, is irreversible, but it can only get worse, if we keep smoking.
  • Mrs mac, Northern NSW April 23, 2018 | 6:04
    Day 19. I’m keeping my mind on my belief that it gets easier over time, and that every day is a triumph. No way am I going back to be a slave, and no way am I ever going to go through this withdrawal process again. I feel physically better, but still emotionally a bit bereft, even though cigarettes were my worst enemy , not my friend, and cost me a fortune. No more worries about when and where I can smoke, and whether I can afford t buy cigarettes.