trish k
Central Coast

Still going strong...never look back

Posted in Staying quit 23 Feb 2018

I just heard the *Icanquit* ad on the radio and thought to myself, hey, I use to go in there everyday when I first tried to give up smoking...well that was 2240 days ago just over 6 years and I'm still as strong if not stronger in my determination to stay quit. I've had a few tests along the way but I never gave in. To everyone trying, try not to focus on the cigarettes, each time you do, get up go for a walk, talk to someone, what every it takes. I smoked about 40 a day from the age of 16 until I turned 54, that's a long time, I use to think the only way I'd give up is if they locked me up in some rehab unit on top of a mountain....I never got to those extremes, I did sit and cry many nights because I knew what it was doing to me, and how I'd end up...but I gave it a go and I've never looked back. You can be like me too, just take baby steps and before you realize, your going to turn around and be a non-smoker, and I can assure you that is the best feeling. GOOD LUCK EVERYONE

• Unbe, Hunter New England February 23, 2018 | 16:27
  • Flamenco February 23, 2018 | 18:39
    Thank you so much for your encouragement. Just read all of your stories, it is great to read from someone that is living proof it can be done. It’s been almost 4 months since I quit, and somedays the thought is still there.
    In your experience, when do you really stop thinking about cigarrets?
  • Lia February 23, 2018 | 22:48
    Hi Trish K. Ditto to all you have said. Just reached 1000 days. What a hoot...
  • colloquial February 25, 2018 | 6:58
    Wow Trish K after all this time and you revisited this site,just goes to show it is a handy to have it at our disposal and how powerful it actually is.Well done on your quitting.Very inspiring,Thank You.
  • LizaRokka, Northern Sydney February 25, 2018 | 21:56
    It's great to hear a success story. It really helps.
  • Mrsbrown, Nepean Blue Mountains February 26, 2018 | 7:12
    Congratulations 2 u on beating this evil drug. I've smoked 4 34yrs & 2day I'm off 2 give the champix a go as unfortunately I'm not strong enough 2 go cold turkey like some. My strategy is 2 cut down gradually as I smoke an average of 18 to 20 per day. Yesterday was perhaps my best achievement so far as I only smoked 7all day. Still not good but an improvement all the same. I'm hoping the champix will put me on the straight & narrow. Again congratulations & it's nice 2 hear a success story. That's what keeps us motivated 2 beat these horrid smokes.
  • Ol lady February 27, 2018 | 13:39
  • Rocky1947 March 20, 2018 | 14:46
    I am 24 year old and I smoked 10 to 12 cigg for 2 years, I am on my 156th day but m coughing lots of phlegm at alternate of day or night for 2 month...that make me worry
    Is that common as sign of withdrawal??