Mrsbrown
Nepean Blue Mountains
18/02/2018

Big slip up already!

Posted in Getting started 21 Feb 2018

Hi everybody. I joined this site only a few days ago & already I've slipped up big time. I'm not in anyway trying to justify this but I got a phone call about a new job & although I'm excited I'm also nervous as this job is way out of the scope of what I'm used to so as a result I bought a pack of smokes. I'm still determined to beat these demon things so I've made an appt to talk to my doc about champix. Instead of going cold turkey I've decided that it's easier for me to cut them down gradually (this is something I can do). But any other hints or tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

• Sharn, Mid North Coast February 21, 2018 | 9:08
    Oh no.......don't worry, it happens. I made it to town & back yesterday & didn't buy any, didn't want any....but had to stop at my sisters on the way home. She was drinking & smoking, offered me a beer which I initially said no to but then she was stressing me with her problems, I was getting agitated so I caved in. 2 beers & 4 of her cigarettes! Damn it. But I'm not concerned at all. I'm just back today again with determination. I'm not being so hard on myself this time, I know I can do it. I've got this - Piece of cake :) So don't worry Mrs Brown, you've got this too, you've got a plan right, stick to it & stick with us, you will be fine!
  • Mrsbrown, Nepean Blue Mountains February 21, 2018 | 10:04
    Thanks 4 the encouragement Sharn. I know that slip ups are gonna happen from time to time but I just couldn't believe I couldn't even make it through 2 days! I can sit here & just keep beating myself up but I know that's not gonna do me any good. But I know what is gonna do me good Is by accepting that I stuffed up & considered a normal part of the process, pick myself up, dust myself of & keep soldiering on but everybody's encouragement on this site helps 2 as we r all fighting the same war. I've got my appt with my doc on Friday 2 trial champix & hopefully they will help make my journey a little easier. Will keep u posted. Even if I stuff up again. Lol!
  • MrSimon February 21, 2018 | 10:52
    lol dont worry , just try again ! After the big 2nd day it gets easier , still hard but easier ... Try without Champix ? Ive heard manly bad things about that .... please try again before friday , friday is a long way off :)
  • Red-67 February 21, 2018 | 11:04
    Well, stuff happens.. Just keep your eyes on the goal..
    I cut down over some weeks, and then went cold turkey. What helped me a lot, was simply looking at that smoke in my hand, and asking myself why. As I began to admit to myself that I was a slave, it became something I did not want. So, even through 3 weeks of physical withdrawal, I did not crave, or want to smoke. I could not go back to being that slave.. Let yourself think, past the smoke clouding your brain, and you see just how stupid it is to smoke..
    For some, the Champix is great, but YOU still have to quit, in your mind.. All too many, slip right back, after the Champix.. It has a high rate of success to quit, but a low rate of staying quit..
    This fight is mostly in your mind... You just have to want it, and you can do it :)
  • MrSimon February 21, 2018 | 11:53
    Agreed Red 67 ! This is where Allen Carr comes in , he re wires the brain to make you realise that smoking is dumb and there is nothing to give up , smoking has never helped us do anything ... There are copies online , ive downloaded the listening book if anyone wants it ? Its 5 hours long .. I listend to it the first time after a course of 10 days , still smoked as the book tells us , then to go over the book again i listend to it all again in 2 x 2.5 hour shifts and happily and nonchalantly put out my last ciggie
  • Pegster February 22, 2018 | 2:10
    Agree with Red 67 and MrSimon. Allen Carr's way of looking/thinking at this is what works! Your brain has latched on to thinking that smoking is a reward. Start telling your brain what it really is - stupid and harmful! Start rejoicing for every moment you were tempted and overcame. Take that deep breath and rejoice and tell your brain that is what is its reward. Keep fighting! All the best
  • Red-67 February 22, 2018 | 7:31
    MrsBrown;
    Something I did, and you might want to try, if you are thinking about cutting down. We go for a smoke, out of routine, without really thinking... Just stop, and ask yourself,, Do I have to have this one. You may be surprised, at how fast you can learn to say no, until next time, and they get farther apart.. Try it :)
  • Red-67 February 22, 2018 | 9:34
    Sry, couldn't help myself :)
    Are you old enough to remember the song ?
    (( Mrs. Brown you've got a lovely daughter )) Herman's hermits, 1965 :)
  • Red-67 February 23, 2018 | 5:11
    Ahhh, yes :) I have seen that Mrs Brown.. Love her. Too funny :)
    Mine is just short for redneck. South Mississippi, so we have a big time difference. I am writing this today, but it is your tomorrow, and it will my yesterday when you read it.. LOL
    Ok,, So, how are you holding up ? Stay on course. You CAN do this :)
  • Red-67 May 11, 2018 | 8:57
    Hey young lady :) I hope your email notice is still on ?
    It's been a while, and I was thinking about you.. Let us know how you are doing.
  • Red-67 May 12, 2018 | 7:40
    OH. Sorry to hear that, and glad you are ok. Just get back on track, when you are ready, and remember the smokes did not solve anything. Here, you might have had a 9mm in your purse. LOL
    Hey, if you want to chat more, I have a chat box, left over from an on line game.. It is only used by a friend in France, and myself, just go to,, olddogs.esy.es if you are interested, and ignore the game stuff :)