Red-67
6/03/2017

9 months, free from smoking :)

Posted in Hints and tips 17 Nov 2017

Well, I guess that is not entirely true.. I had my last smoke Feb, 16th, but I can really say, knowing I was free for 8 months :)

I had not given any real thought to quitting.. At times over the years, I would cut back down, always trying not to go over a pack a day. But, one day, I saw a young couple lighting up, just outside a restaurant, and thought,, How stupid do you have to be to pick up one of those, knowing what we know now !?! Then, I looked at the one in my hand, that I was smoking, and the thought hit me,, How stupid do you have to be to keep smoking ???

Now, I don't claim to be a genius, but when I asked myself why I was smoking, and had no answer.. It hit me... SMOKING MAKES YOU STUPID.. An otherwise intelligent person, would not spend good money, waste all the time we waste just to have a smoke, and shove poison into our body. Right ?

Naturally, the nicodemon tried to argue.. You are 67 years old, why quit now ? BECAUSE i HAVE BEEN YOUR SLAVE FOR 45 YEARS... I AM NOT GOING TO DIE A SMOKER !!

Now, the point of all this rambling, In my mind, smoking became something I just could not do. I made up my mind.. I WANTED to quit. Not that I needed to quit, or I should quit, I wanted it.. I did not want to be a smoker. I did not want to be that slave to a cigarette. So, I had 3 packs at the time, and made myself a promise, to never buy another one.. Surprisingly, it only took 2.. I still have the last, unopened pack, and I guess at my one year mark, I'll bury, or burn it.. LOL

Ok, enough rambling. What I want to share, and I say it often, whatever method you choose to quit, first make it something you want. Don't think you are giving up anything, or you are quitting for this reason, or that reason.. You have to want it.. Take the time to really see how foolish, stupid, disgusting, and useless smoking is. I have heard, Allen Carr's book, The easy way to quit smoking can help with that.. Sure, there will be withdrawal. 3 really miserable weeks for me, but you don't have to crave, or want for that smoke.. Make it something you do NOT WANT, not something you can't have. That is much more powerful than it sounds. Other than the few weeks of withdrawal, I have not had to suffer with cravings.. Learn to think like a non smoker, not a smoker that can't have one.. Take joy in the fact that you no longer smoke. Be proud. You have earned it.. Don't look back. You left nothing good behind.

It can be that easy.. I know. We let smoking control our brain for too long. You are not a passenger. Take back control of your own mind. You can do it too :)

• Lia November 17, 2017 | 21:37
    Hi Red-67. All quitters truly understand everything you have vented on this occasion. Don't know what I would have been doing today if I had not realised "Margaret Thatcher" was my enemy. It was she telling me to light up. After I extinguished her claim on my thinking I was able to stash my half packet of Duty Free Davidoffs and 4 packs of Dunhill. For 902 days they have remained in a cupboard. I know I and I only will decide to remain on track.
  • Flora November 18, 2017 | 12:50
    Well done Red and your point is absolutely right re; not wanting v can't have, which is all about the mind set. That is so important to this whole quitting journey.
  • jellycake November 28, 2017 | 23:40
    I've made so many unsuccessful attempts since joining this site but Dec. 1st is a definite. Your words are so encouraging and sensible. Thank you!
  • Unbe, Hunter New England February 06, 2018 | 13:40
    Great advice, being intrinsically motivated is so important. It has to be because you want it, not because you have to.
  • Unbe, Hunter New England February 06, 2018 | 13:41
    How much money did you save in 9 months?
  • Happiness November 21, 2018 | 9:39
    Here to support you Red. I concur that is indeed all about the mindset. You explain it quite well. I had exactly the same experience. Quit by accident, saw through nicotine and its worthlessness. Opened my mind , fed my dopamine chocolate cocoa to make it happy. (Couldn't hurt to give my dopamine a positive charge) I undid the damage nicotine did ... found ways to cope, fill the void it seemed to leave. (another misconception). Today i am smoke-free , cold turkey 12 days and no psychological withdraws at all. No looking over my shoulder waiting for something that is never going to happen. (cravings) How do i know? I am not going to waste time and energy fearing something that i hope will never happen. The only way to confirm that fear is if it happens.

So how do you get the mindset? Red and I both stumbled on it and then we read Allan Carrs book which explains how we did it instinctively. If you truly Desire to Quite, not desire or (even harbour a desire) for a cigarette N>O>P>E If you can envision your life as a non-smoker, and see how you will be so much happier doing so. If you see how you were hooked on a powerful mind altering drug that took over your whole life, not be mention have you waste your money and give you nothing in return except, stinky clothes, hair, house, car... and health issues. Some consider a cigarette a friend and grieve for it. Think it over.... the cigarette was never you friend. It never gave you anything at all. Think of it as the enemy for that's what it is. You will never be totally free of its control until you do.

The secret to the book is in essence, Quit smoking and embrace life as a non-smoker. Be happy you are a non-smoker. I am ecstatic that I am finally free of its control... That is the secret to being a Happy Non-Smoker. We did it. You can too.