Johnnie
South Eastern Sydney
1/08/2016

"No more ducking outs and disappearances"

Posted in Quit experiences 03 Nov 2017

Hi everyone, been a while since i last posted. I am now on 16 mths without smokes and can certainly relate that cravings and habits disappear. No more ducking outs for smokes, leaving friends at dinner tables while out having a smoke,looking anxiously at places where i could smoke etc. People new to this site please believe me it does get easier and easier if one is serious about quitting.Money i saved in my quit time amounted to thousands of dollars.....especially with the cost of cigarettes at present in my part of the world. Had a worthwhile holiday with some of the money saved and the memories far outweigh the poison smoke i was enduring in my previous 52yrs of smoking. So please take note of testimonies given by some old members on this site like i did and stick to it....some members that helped me were Dobbin, Lia, Red just to name a few. Good luck and Cheers.

• dhyana November 04, 2017 | 18:55
    Thank You Johnnie. This is what I needed to hear :-)
  • Lia November 04, 2017 | 20:58
    Hi Johnnie. Admire your determination. So glad I may have helped you. As it is a two way street and not ever a competition, your support and accolades have helped me too. No matter how long some of us abstain, there is nothing like the recognition we get from fellow quitters. As we approach 4 digits it gets a bit lonely so it is always a thrill to know those from the early days are still there watching out for us.
  • Johnnie, South Eastern Sydney November 04, 2017 | 21:21
    Thankyou Lia.......totally agree with your statements.
  • ronryan65, Western NSW November 05, 2017 | 21:37
    Hi Johnnie glad your doing so well your an inspiration and a legend and you've been a role model for me 52 days now and I'm proud of it best thing I ever did thanks to this site and all the other people here it really helps to know theres light at the end of the tunnel...
  • Red-67 November 06, 2017 | 5:37
    Hey Johnnie :)
    Good to see your face here again :) For me, the worst thing now, is looking back, and I find it hard to believe, I let smoking run my life for so long.. Do you and Lia get that feeling ? Like you said about all the stupid things we did, just to satisfy a stupid habit !
    And to anybody in the struggle now, stick with it ! It feels great to be FREE !
  • Johnnie, South Eastern Sydney November 06, 2017 | 9:11
    Hi Ron, Hi Red thankyou both for your comments. Firstly Ron ......mate you doing well and as you mentioned in another comment one must stay active...especially in our retirement years. I myself engage in some hobbies that i always had....to some extent that is.Anyway keep it up Ron you find eventually you do not think about the buggers. Well Red, in answer to your questioni personally in my younger years felt smoking as being "macho" I did not consider the consequences or felt i was a slave to the habit. However as i began to get older and fresh scientific findings on smoking began to emerge it was then in my later years that my body was telling me "that's it" "the fun is over" Specialist said to me i had mild copd and advised me to quit........i smoked for 52yrs but after taking the specialist's advice and having later tests etc i begun to feel better. We can never reverse the damage done by smoking but we can arrest it. Red, when we were teenagers we felt bullet proof, but later in life you realise how wrong we were. Anyway i do not think i will be going back to smoking and i wish Ron, yourself and everyone on this site tbe best of luck. Cheers.