Kerryanne
Illawarra Shoalhaven
Story
17/11/2015

Be honest with myself and start again

Posted in Reasons to quit 24 Oct 2017

I am just about to go back to day 1. It's about 6 weeks since i stopped smoking. I had just started up swimming and then got a phone call that my dad had been run over riding his bicycle by a car. He got cooperated on the brain for a blood clot but then went into a coma. It's was then a week and a half of waiting but he sadly passed away on the 18th October. I have found my self wishing I never started smoking. But today I need to stop as i have a little girl who is 10 and I am single parent. I am 51yrs old. Smoked since i was 13yrs old. I know I need to stop NOW. SO I quite and being honest back to day 1 on my quit plan. Kerry

• Kerryanne, Illawarra Shoalhaven October 24, 2017 | 10:33
    Just adding that I went back to smoking 3 days after I heard the sad news about my dad. So I've been smoking for 2 weeks again now. But No more. My chest is sore and it just adds to the problems. Kerry
  • Steely07, South Eastern Sydney October 24, 2017 | 11:43
    I'm so sorry about your Dad Kerryanne but so glad you have quit. Your Dad would be proud. I'm approaching 6 weeks lack motivation for anything much but am never returning to smoking, ever!
  • Brooky October 24, 2017 | 18:27
    Kerryanne, my deepest condolences about your untimely and hard to accept loss. I lost my childhood friend with blood clotting problem ten days before your father has passed away, on the 8th of October. My friend was a heavy smoker like me. You and me have two things in common. I started smoking the same age as you. 13 years. I also have two kids: one is ten and the other is five. I wanted to quit because of these children. I did not and I do not want them to smoke!!! Second I have to live longer and healthy until they reach certain age. I am now clean 7 days and with every minute that is smoke free I am growing stronger and stronger. You can do it! I trust you dear.
  • Red-67 October 26, 2017 | 6:07
    So sad for you. That is an understandable slip..
    For many years, we saw that smoke as a, goto, friend, in times of need.. But, now, we know that was just the habit/addiction lie.. Just put that slip behind you, and really set yourself free. Learn to think like a non-smoker, and find other ways to deal.. You can do this..
  • CF November 12, 2017 | 19:12
    Very sorry to hear of your loss...
  • Rose Cape Town November 14, 2017 | 23:58
    My condolences. I agree with an earlier comment - we build up our addiction in our brain and convince ourselves that it is difficult to stop - it actually is only difficult because the insidious drug called nicotine creates this belief - you can do it - you don't need it - it is not your friend - it is actually your deadliest enemy - best wishes for strength and peace during this difficult time.
  • Jatchat, Illawarra Shoalhaven December 02, 2017 | 5:19
    Condolences, Grief is hard to bear, I lost my Mum in April this year and it's so sad. but there are other ways to cope, Try any of the strength based evidence methods listed on this site, and do it for your Dad he would be proud of you.
    Regards