ronryan65
Western NSW
6/10/2017

How I'm Keaping it Real

Posted in Staying quit 20 Oct 2017

Day 35, Thanks again everyone for being here without you I wouldn't be here, this is a bit like AA for me I come on and read all the New stories, follow up on them then catch up with my followers and then the people I've been following now its time for me to get up and tell my story and tell you all how I'm travelling. I log on every now and again if there have been any comments made on any of my stories I get notifications on my PC and my phone, its great to be part of an anonymous community it's very rewarding and my Selfasteem has gone up to a point I never thought possible as I was feeling pretty low before I became involved with this. The days have gone by a lot faster and I've been getting a lot more done even my Wife has noticed a change in my behavior I'm a lot more Tolerable and patient and don't get around feeling sorry for myself as now I've found some purpose and motivation I haven't felt this good since I got out of Rehab 23 years ago Mentally and Physically. It was quite a challenge for me to give up smoking for the first 4 weeks I had to give up smoking cannabis again so I was going thru dual withdrawals the patches got me thru that but I was still pretty moody and I still smoked cigarettes until the first 4 weeks was over and I had managed to wean myself off the smokes 5 weeks ago I started this plan with the advice from my good friend and Counselor-Cessation Nurse who I go and visit every week for an update on my progress. My lungs have cleared out the Carbon Monoxide in them I am now a healthy weight now for my size I was a thin 65Kg when I started now I'm near 80Kg at 5"9 I eat like a horse and I only eat good food, I've also been exercising as well something I didn't have the energy for or the mindset, for now, I've got my body and mind back on track again. When I started I had to give up an anti-social lifestyle that was Killing me I was so afraid of what my Mates would think and getting caught driving my car with THC in my system and the paranoid feeling has been lifted up off my shoulders, It is such a relief to put that all behind me now I can get on with the Best of my life I'm 53 years old and not getting any younger and all the Good things in life that I have deprived myself of so I could smoke Cigarettes and get High have already started to come thru the door and I can afford to do the things in life I always wanted to do as a reward. Life is Good and I wouldn't be Dead for Quids, I might be able to get that boat one day I've always wanted and a nice Beast to tow it with one day at a time and I will get there and you will too. Ron

• Red-67 October 20, 2017 | 5:16
    Great story Ron. Keep up the good work :)
    Fortunately, I have never had a substance or alcohol problem.. I do enjoy a bourbon now and then... But,, I smoked for 45 years, and never thought of it as an addiction, at the time :) I like to say, smoking is a powerful habit, fueled by the nicotine addiction. For most, the habit is the strongest part.. So, we were addicted to SMOKING.. We just don't see it that way, until something opens our eyes, our mind actually.. I had my last smoke 8 months ago, and I can say I have been free of any craving, or wanting for over 7 months.. The best way I can put it is, make it something you do NOT WANT, not something you can't have.. Sure, I had 3+ miserable weeks of withdrawal, but never really craved, or wanted a smoke again..
    It sounds like you have you mind in the right place, and you are beginning to really feel how good it is to be free.. Not to mention how much money you folks down under are paying for them.. Here, the most I ever paid was 4usd, and was paying less than 2usd, when I quit.. ( BIG difference ).. My thing was not health, or the money.. Somehow, I saw that I was really just a slave to a cigarette ! That little smoke, was running my life, and it had to stop :)
    You got this.. Don't look back.. Now you are living your life for YOU :)
  • weewillem October 20, 2017 | 7:16
    Thanks for your story Ron, it's very inspiring to see what a long way we can pull ourselves away from the depths we get ourselves into when we don't want to face life. Even smoking cigarettes is a cop out - a state of mind that we choose for ourselves. Sure it's addictive, but we chose to be addicted and to stay addicted.

Well done for getting yourself out of the trap - it's a difficult thing to do - to turn your mindset around and enjoy the positive basics of a good life like healthy eating and exercise, when there is so much influence against a good lifestyle (commercial tv and it's crap advertising and advertising crap).

All the best and I look forward to reading more stories from you.
  • Steve01 October 20, 2017 | 16:28
    Good onya Ron and a terrific story. Thanks for sharing.
    You're making damned good progress and given the other stuff you had to quit in the past I find your continued success even more admirable mate! It takes a lot of strength to beat multiple addictions. I know for me I had to stop drinking to be able to stop smoking at the same time so I was double irritable.

Steve
  • Brooky October 20, 2017 | 21:56
    Dear Ron, you are one of my role models now. I made it 3 days and I will keep on going. The craving and the urge whatever are so trivial compared to the mental satisfaction I have. I started already believing in my will power. I was so naive to let that addiction imprison me for three decades. I am no more slave thanks to you guys.
  • ronryan65, Western NSW October 20, 2017 | 22:14
    Thanks heaps Guys Steve, Red, Will, and Brooky this what its all about, I couldnt have done this without your Support I will always be there for you My Friends Always. Ron
  • ronryan65, Western NSW October 20, 2017 | 22:23
    The Fearless Five
  • ZauyaBean October 23, 2017 | 10:57
    Hi Ron. What an awesome achievement and what an experience you’ve had. My weakness was when I had alcohol. In my mind they go hand in hand. I hope I can beat this. Thank you for sharing your story.
  • Red-67 October 26, 2017 | 5:29
    Hey Ron :)
    I just saw your comment on my last story.. I guess I could, or should post another story, but I just come here to maybe pass on some help to others..
    I have not craved, wanted, or missed a smoke in 7 months :)
    Remember,, Make that smoke something something you do NOT WANT, not something you can't have. That mindset made my quit, a short 3+ weeks of withdrawal. Sure, a miserable month, but then I was done.. Simply because, I made up my mind, I did not WANT another smoke.. It can help you too :)
    Red..
  • Red-67 October 26, 2017 | 5:33
    LOL.. I don't know if there is a way to edit these comments, after we post it ?
    How could I have done two somethings, without noticing it.. ? ? :)
  • ronryan65, Western NSW October 27, 2017 | 5:15
    Gee Red I wish I knew what your on about 2 somethings without noticing Lol, I Hate what smoking has done to me, It nearly killed me Robbed me of my life and money and not to mention killed some of my BFs if that that aint enough not to make me not want a smoke I dunno; smokings something I don't want need or crave for I'm just grateful I woke up before it was to late mate.
  • jellycake November 28, 2017 | 23:52
    Thanks for this amazing story.